Iodine

I do , about 2 times a month I put a little in , I found that a very little goes a long way , too much and things go bad quick . be ready for molting shrimp too , from what I understand all sofy corals need Iodine , they sell suppliments for it

I dose lugols frequently in my tank. My zoas and gorgonians love it. Two drops per day. I was only doing one drop a day then started doing two. When I added the second drop I noticed my zoas were reproducing faster and my gorgonian was much more full. The more iodine you dose though more algae tho

Iodine is tricky, lots of our livestock needs it but it's very difficult to accurately monitor with hobbiest grade tests. Basically your tank will probably benifit from dosing it...... Until you dose too much then the result could be very bad.

My take on it over many yrs of experience and reading is that you can either add a small regular dose (lugols) and hope it's right, or do somewhat frequent water changes and hope that the water changes keep it at an acceptable level. I hate anything that vauge, but that's what it is :(

Good reading here;
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/chemistry Pay particular attention to the part about testing.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is to read the articles. I don't know that you will kill your tank if you slightly overdose an iodine supplement, but it sounds like at some point too much will start to be detrimental. Beyond that, I can't say.

It's like walking a tight rope if you make it across all Ur softies will look amzing you fall off the rope and then it looks like crap

Get a Salifert iodine kit. It is sensitive enough to keep you from overdosing. I use 2 drops of lugols daily in a 600 gal system.

I use the supliment believe its Kent's and says to add 8 drops daily. I do tent to forget at times.
I do not test and maybe I should start just to know where it is.

So it seems to me that almost everyone has aswome results when using the iodide as long as you dont overdose the system.. I'm going to take the leap and start using it.

I'd be surprised if you "need" to dose iodine on a 29g tank if you're doing regular water changes. If you are and you still want to dose then I would test like Paul says cause you could be on the upper side of iodine levels.

I do 5 gallons every Sunday and I have a bunch of zoanthids but not growth in them in they been in the tank for months and months

Back