Iodine

Zeefishies

BRS Member
Hi Reefers,
Does anyone dose iodine?
What brand?
Do u even need to dose iodine?
If so do u test? and what testing kit do u use?

I dose iodide because I run carbon which will depletes iodine.

I took @dz6t advice and bought some potassium iodide from Amazon. I dose
4 g dissolved in 16 oz of distilled water, add 5 ml per 50g daily.

I put it in with my Calcium dose solution.

Seems to be working? My millipora is finally starting to send out its polyps again. Sponge doses are coloring up as are my millipora.

P.S. I don’t try to test for iodide because I’ve heard the tests are in accurate due to all the interference with other compounds in our salt water. But I know corals use it, and I know the GAC depletes it, so it only makes sense to me to replace it.

I dose iodide as well, daily but under the reef moonshiners program. I’m sure it’s doing something but I do t see any negatives yet. 5 months now, 12 drops daily. ATI tests are reading it’s concentration and I’m still low according to their target

I dose iodide because I run carbon which will depletes iodine.

I took @dz6t advice and bought some potassium iodide from Amazon. I dose
4 g dissolved in 16 oz of distilled water, add 5 ml per 50g daily.

I put it in with my Calcium dose solution.

Seems to be working? My millipora is finally starting to send out its polyps again. Sponge doses are coloring up as are my millipora.

I also run carbon on all my tanks i have alot of zoas and they seem to be enjoying
a small amount of aqua vitro iodine but I am concerned about how much I should be dosing

I dose red seas trace colors abcd which iodine is included. Per the instructions they have their test kit which you can test then dose per results(if you believe them) or you can dose by calcium consumption. I forget the ratio but that’s how I do it I don’t get much consumption as it’s still a newer tank with smaller corals but no bad side effects or anything to be noted at all good or bad.

Back