Leaving the hobby

Sorry to hear Donal, but I definately understand. This hobby takes up more money and time than I had ever imagined, I don't blame you one bit. You've got plenty of time later for this stuff, have a great time with everything else now!

Im really debating on whether I should sell my custom tank or not. I could most likely have a replica of the tank made when I decide to come back into the hobby.

I will definitely stick around the site posting pictures,involving myself in conversation and I will also still attend meetings once in a while. How could I ever just leave everyone here.

Donal,
Keep the reefing stuff, it will come in handy later.
As far as the photography goes, I can show you good examples of both Nikon and Canon gear to play with and get a feel for what you might want.

M.

Thanks Mauro, I have loads of questions... I will pm you soon.

Donal.

Last edited:
Donal,
Sorry to hear about your dilema. It's tough to keep up with just one hobby especially this one. Having photography and reefing hobby might not be a very good idea at this point for you. I think you've made the right decision for leaving one of them. It sucks either way but reefing require lots of time and money for maintenance and you can lose all you've worked so hard for in just one mistake you've made or some uncontrollable factor. But it is a nice hobby to have. The stress of the tank alone will make you forget all of your other stresses. :D.
Photography is more enjoyable in a sense that it gets you out there. You go to new places or it makes you appreciate things that you often overlooked daily. Your gears are pretty much stay with you until you decided to part from it. But have you really looked at the price of photography? sure, you can do with what you have but you can say the same thing with reefing.

Thanks Nick for the insight.
Yes, I have looked at the price of photography, and it does seem expensive, but it is a more practical feild to invest my money in than reefkeeping at my age. I love reefkeeping and love photography, but I can only do one, and photography is more applicable for my situation.

I also really want to thank EVERYONE who has ever helped me out in any way, I truly appreciate it!

Donal.

Sorry to hear you are leaving the hobby but I completely understand your decision. I am likely going to be leaving the hobby soon as I am in a similar transition phase of moving from college to full time work. It is hard to find the time and motivation with everything else going on and an aquarium that is supposed to relieve stress only causes it. You should definitely keep that beautiful custom tank though. Equipment changes and improves so selling it makes sense but that tank has too much time and effort into its craftsmanship to just sell it off. I actually started reefkeeping in college with a small 10g in my dorm room so you will hopefully pick up the hobby again soon and that tank is perfect.

It is quite coincidental that you are leaving the hobby at the exact time I am deciding to; on the brink of setting up a new custom tank. I spent months as you likely did custom designing everything about my new tank only to decide to quit the project days before finishing. Hopefully the experience served us something. Anyway, good luck with your photography. I was looking at some of your pictures and they are absolutely amazing.

Dennis

Decided to pull a U-turn.

After some more thinking...

I guess im not leaving after all. A friend of mine convinced me that I do not need expensive equipment to continue taking the pictures that I am taking now. Im really glad I didnt sell any of my equipment yet, I will set up my tank with out a doubt when I come back from Ireland this summer. So I will be able to set up the tank alot sooner than I thought I was going to.Im really glad to be back and in the same direction I was headed before.

I lost my drive to set up the tank, but now have even more of an urge to set it up!!!

I have also made the descision of what I am doing for college, I am staying at home. The college I will be attending is within 10 minutes of my home. So why would I want to pay thousands of dollars a year just to live on campus, why not save my self the money.

So instead of spending the money I have right now on a new camera, I am going to finish the tank. :D

Donal!

Last edited:
I have also made the descision of what I am doing for college, I am staying at home. The college I will be attending is within 10 minutes of my home. So why would I want to pay thousands of dollars a year just to live on campus, why not save my self the money.

Good to hear Donal,
Do good in school. It doesn't matter what school you go to. A company does not hire you because you're from a $40k school, your first job will depend alot on your GPA and the first impression on your interview. Also, often time, it's who you know rather than what you know. A high GPA does not mean you know a lot. School is very different from the real-world work. However, a high GPA gives you a step ahead from the rest of the crowd to enter the industry.
Okay, enough with my fatherly speech.

Donal!

Because those are the best years of your life. I regret it everyday that I didn't go away for college, especially coming from a small town where you know everyone and there's really no diversity, and preparation for the "real" world.

Last edited:
Because those are the best years of your life. I regret it everyday that I didn't go away for college, especially coming from a small town where you know everyone and there's really no diversity, and preparation for the "real" world.

Wow, you just want his tank dont you? :p

It's no joke, those are really important years. Thank god I was able to go away for college. If you go the community college, that could be a temporary medium, and most of the credit will transfer.

Donal, I know where your at right now. High school, Drivers licence & Car as well as insurance & gas to put in it....Tough decision....but if you do sell everything you can buy better stuff when you get out of college & get a nice job. This hobby is very expensive. If you can't have both I think your making the right decision. Don't worry.....We'll all be here when you decide to get back in. (that is if you decide to get out for now) Well anyway...... the stupid ones that is :rolleyes: Like me!!! I've thought of getting out......Too much coin invested to loose...So I'm stuck because I'm stubborn!!!
Good luck whichever way you choose to go....BTW...(you can still visit us foolish diehards anytime on the site!!!!) take care!!
B

Back