LFS Maintaining Livestock in Hyposalinity Good or Bad?

LFS Maintaining Fish in Hyposalinity Good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Hypo does mean below, but it's quite important that we are talking about the same thing whey we say "hypo".

1.008 and 1.017 would both be "hypo" by definition, but there's a very big difference when you take a fish and rapidly acclimate it to 1.024-1.026. The 1.017 fish will be stressed out, the 1.008 fish may well die.

The concerte definition doesn't mean much if we don't use it the same way.

If anything I guess we could chaulk this one up to a educational thread.

I did not realize there was such a grey area on the understanding of this topic.

I agree. I'm not calling foul in anyway, but I do feel strongly that it is good for people to be aware so if nothing else they will remember to actually check the SG on new aquiaitions (which we all should do anyway, but I know I'm guilty of neglecting to do in the past).

I think we are all guilty of being neglectful with certain things, I most certainly know I am.

Is't this the truth!

I have given the best advice I possibly can for the last 15+ years. You'd think by now I would learn to follow it myself...:rolleyes:
do as I say...not as I do.

-B-

Hyposalinity is adjusting the salinity of the water to somewhat less the that of natural sea water. "Hypo" comes from Greek and means under or below.
Also there's been a couple of recent threads talk about a particular LFS keeping SG in the 1.017 range.

I thought we where talking about what is considered in the hobby as Hypo-salinity. Which to be effective to Cryptocaryon (ich), IMO, needs to be below 1.010. Running a fish system with Tangs, Angels, and Butterflies at a salinity of 1.017--1.020 is considered common practice in the industry, and I would not consider this hypo-salinity (even though the definition may be) And while running at a lowered salinity will not cure any issues with the fish, as said earlier it will keep things at bay in the system (which is definitely a good thing) And cut back on salt costs a bit (another good thing)

But to be honest (*IMO*) nothing beats a ton of good ol' UV sterilization. the correct amount at the proper flow rate works wonders. (I am talking about a commercial closed system here)

Sorry I must have missed the threads.

But it made for some good discussion.

-B-

Is running hypo (even just "semi-hypo") common practice, you think?

I have never seen mention of this in any LFS, and of course I acclimate as if they run their tank parameters close to what is generally recommended for the hobby.

Like Bob, it looks like I need to do some tests on the LFS water.

Is running hypo (even just "semi-hypo") common practice, you think?

I have never seen mention of this in any LFS, and of course I acclimate as if they run their tank parameters close to what is generally recommended for the hobby.

Like Bob, it looks like I need to do some tests on the LFS water.
Hyposalinity seems to be gaining popularity.

Semi-Hyposalinity has always been a common practice.

Most aquarium shops maintain fish only systems at 1.017-1.019 that I am aware of.

To reiterate the whole point of my purpose for starting this thread is that it is my belief reefkeeping has gained great popularity in the past 10 years and now generates a substantial amount of LFS' fish sales; I think trying to acclimate a fish from hyposalinity to proper reef conditions is too stressful and has the potential to create unforseen problems.

Back