Looking for comments on custom glass aquarium vendors

macraider

Non-member
I have recently moved from Toronto, Canada to Boston, MA. I would like to replace my glass aquarium before setting my tank back up.

I currently have a 48" x 18" x 30" glass aquarium (drilled for the overflow).

Any suggestions on companies local to Boston that I can order a replacement glass aquarium from?

Thanks in advance!

I believe Marc at Fishy Business in Chatham sells custom built glass aquariums. It's about an hour and a half south of boston.

I'm in the process of finding a custom 180 and here's what I've heard so far (nothing really local):

glasscages.com - Good prices, make whatever size/shape you want, can coordinate a relatively cost effective tank pick up from a trade show in the area

Aquariums for You AFY.com - New Jersey so not that far to go pick up but still not local, custom tanks and installs is their business, I'm still waiting to hear back from them on a quote

AquariumObsessed.com - Ontario Canada, too bad you didn't grab one before you left ;). Definitely more expensive than glasscages, but looks like they make nicely finished display tank (polished glass edges and such)

Miraclesaquarium.com - Ontario again, pricing similar to AquariumObsessed, construction sounds simliar as well with polished edges/trimmed silicone.

I believe Aqua Addicts and Aquarium Galleries (both in NH) will work with you to get a custom tank if you want to interface with someone in person. As far as I know though, there aren't any places actually cutting glass and gluing it together in the local MA/NH area.

Thanks.

Glasscages.com sent a prompt response to my e-mail with a quote, however, I won't be close to their show locations anytime soon, making shipping as much as the tank itself.

I'll check into some of the other options you mention and the two posted above. Otherwise the best choice might be to rent a trunk for the drive back to Boston, next time I'm in Toronto!

I was actually thinking about doing the truck/roadtrip thing to pick up a tank from one of the Ontario places. I have yet to visit Niagara so that'd be a little bonus for a weekend trip. If we both end up going that route, maybe we can coordinate. My time frame would probably be for a pick-up this summer like July-ish.

>Aquariums for You AFY.com - New Jersey so not that far to go pick up but still not local, custom tanks and installs is their business, I'm still waiting to hear back from them on a quote<

I've found it to be more expensive that some of the other manufacturers.

jbundas said:
I was actually thinking about doing the truck/roadtrip thing to pick up a tank from one of the Ontario places. I have yet to visit Niagara so that'd be a little bonus for a weekend trip. If we both end up going that route, maybe we can coordinate. My time frame would probably be for a pick-up this summer like July-ish.

We're gonna need a bigger truck!! :D

AFY will guarantee their tanks for ten years if you put the tank on a stand that they build.

jbundas said:
Aquariums for You AFY.com - New Jersey so not that far to go pick up but still not local, custom tanks and installs is their business, I'm still waiting to hear back from them on a quote
Have you heard back from them?

I've been told (by other reefers, not a quote) that a starphire 8 foot tank would cost $3,000-$3,5000.

Back