looking for local source for cuttlefish eggs and live misid shrimp

gpx1200

Non-member
im just about ready to have another go at breeding cuttlefish and im looking for a local store that might have eggs in stock any help would be appreciated
I already have a few mailorder sources in mind but id like to avoid shipping if posible

Id try and call a few local places and ask if they can order them for you. I know if I want a specific fish or something I call my local LFS and they can usually order it for me.

ya ive had standing orders with a few places I frequent but they never come up with anything, figured id put up a post just in case someone saw some by random chance

thanks ill give them a call tomorrow that's a breeze compaired to the 7hr drive I made to ny aquitcs to get my last 2 octos and my dads been wanting to go to twin rivers so ill kill 2 birds with one stone

I worked with breeding and raising cuttle fish. They require a lot of food which I would setup up first.
Mysid shrimp which also need to be feed. I used to collect a lot of amphipods at the ocean to feed the to.
One of the major marine suppliers pet stores use in Mass/NH sells the eggs. They are a gamble many do not hatch.

I took several videos at different ages and mating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8GQlz6QPDM&list=UUlWBiGXgE-AsFhPknfEfZJQ
I have my 40g Mysis tank with a baby separator cycling now and I've added a sump and skimmer since my last try at breeding them and bought some finer screen to separate the smallest ones better

im just about ready to have another go at breeding cuttlefish and im looking for a local store that might have eggs in stock any help would be appreciated
I already have a few mailorder sources in mind but id like to avoid shipping if posible

I just put in a request for 2 newly hatched cuttles at tropic isle aquarium in framingham. the woman working there said that she can usually get the young cuttles and eggs easily upon request. they had 3 in january that were sold pretty quickly. hopefully i can get them soon. good luck

I put in a request for eggs from them about a year ago, have called back and left my number several times and never got any results. if I wer you I would contact unique aquaria they are selling captive bred cuttles from reef gen now.
I now have five baby cuttles ranging in size from 1/4 in to 1 inch witch I got from blue zoo. theyr eating ghost shrimp and Mysis.
the reef gen cuttles are expensive but to get a healthy three month old cuttlefish it will easly cost you $300-400 with shipping in Mysis shrimp alone unless you can find a good local source to get them cheaply and if you don't use Mysis you baby cuttles will most likely die

Unique has a breeding pair and a baby pair all tank bred and raised and a egg cluster layed a few days ago... only the baby's are for sale... they are not a guess or as big of a risk on species like a egg cluster witch i would suggest imo..... Give B a call he loves his cuttle fish!

Ours are the Reefgen Tank raised F1's and yes we are raising them in house now as well. But can get the Reefgen ones anytime... unfortunately they are expensive right now, but as mentioned it takes a lot to raise them and ensure their health...you get what you pay for.(Diver's Den sold their last pair for $400) We have our breeding pair "Bonnie & Clyde" (yes, I know...I named Fish...lol) they are just over 8 weeks old. We have our first egg cluster from them in our tumbler for a week now. We also have a pair for sale that is just over 4 weeks old.
Hands down, these are some of the most amazing animals on the planet!

I put in a request for eggs from them about a year ago, have called back and left my number several times and never got any results. if I wer you I would contact unique aquaria they are selling captive bred cuttles from reef gen now.
I now have five baby cuttles ranging in size from 1/4 in to 1 inch witch I got from blue zoo. theyr eating ghost shrimp and Mysis.
the reef gen cuttles are expensive but to get a healthy three month old cuttlefish it will easly cost you $300-400 with shipping in Mysis shrimp alone unless you can find a good local source to get them cheaply and if you don't use Mysis you baby cuttles will most likely die

thats surprising!! i put in an order on friday and they arrived tuesday!!! i wanted the babies that were just hatched, but its good thing i didn't buy them right away because i got a call wednesday morning that they did not make it through the night. I'm waiting for them to get more in again and see if they survive!!!

So, I'm curious about these. Can anyone give me the Reader's Digest version? I have a 37 Gallon tall tank that is MT that I could use. I've raised seahorses and clownfish, etc. from birth before. I'm willing to put a lot of effort in for the first few weeks...Maybe months, but eventually I'd hope to have a 'pet' that will eat frozen food and not require a ton of effort. So questions:

1. How long do they live (if cared for well)?
2. How big do they get?
3. How interactive are they (I've had some aquatic 'pets' that were no fun at all because they never came out of their 'hidey holes')?
4. How long is the 'intensive' stage? i.e. how long do you need to feed them live food?
5. Can you keep more than one together long term?
6. Would you want to keep more than one together long term?
7. What kind of success rates do people have raising them?
8. How sensitive are they long term to water conditions?
9. Are live mysis shrimp necessary to raise, or can you use live brine shrimp (NHB, or adults fed with micro algae)?

Greg
These are awesome!!!!!!
1...2 years for some species and 1 year on flamboyant
2.... dwarfs Are awesome and all we need in tanks and they get like 4 inches
3.....Depends on species some dont like light some are fine in a reef
4.....Forever and why not i wish i never had frozen food my self.. There to smart to eat frozen...But what if it was easy!!
5... pairs and juveniles are ok together
6.... They cant be alone!!!
7... success is in the reefkeeper
8... aquariums dont shorten there life span
9...Would help to have live mysis a first..

Last edited:
I tried for about an hour tonight with frozen krill. and a good 30 minutes the other day with frozen lancefish. And Brian is right, they are just too damn smart to take frozen. I am sure that with time and dedication (about 2 -3 months) they can be taught to take frozen. they are extremely intelligent and have the ability to learn behavior. Most of the year getting live food for them is very easy, as they love small crabs and shore grass Shrimp (both readily available and easy to catch on ones own) and even when times are tough they are easy to feed just expensive...as I have been having to feed Peppermint Shrimp and Anemone Crabs to our guys...so they are on a diet until I can get an order of shrimp in...lol

But they are hands down the coolest and most interactive animal I have ever kept besides my dog! ...and I have had almost everything, working in the pet industry for the last 24 years

What is a good tank size for say a pair? Is a pair too small an amount to keep together? I'm thinking maybe a half dozen is safer?

Hey B, what type of cuddles do you have? IDK if I overlooked the post. I'd love to see flamboyants in person.

Back