looking for local source for cuttlefish eggs and live misid shrimp

Continuous need for live food is kind of a deal breaker for me. I just don't live close enough to the ocean to make regular trips (besides which it'd be no fun to collect in winter!) and my wallet's just not big enough to continuously buy live food.

Great to hear people are having luck with them though!

Ours are the Dwarf Cuttlefish (Sepia bandensis) they get 4" or so, and I would keep them in a 30 gallon tank. We are going to keep our pair in an Oceanic 30 cube.
Here is a link to a good article on them; http://www.tonmo.com/community/pages/sepia-bandensis-care/

I would love to have a Flamboyant (we had one in Boston for about 6 months, which I hear is good in captivity) But the fact that they only have a year life span and if you can even find one available they have a retail price of $500-$1000. Would keep me from getting one again, especially now that I am in love with these Dwarf Cuttles

Warren, how could we get a hold of some of these to put in to our breeding program????

I would love to have a Flamboyant (we had one in Boston for about 6 months, which I hear is good in captivity) But the fact that they only have a year life span and if you can even find one available they have a retail price of $500-$1000. Would keep me from getting one again, especially now that I am in love with these Dwarf Cuttles

LOL...so much for this...as I have had one at the shop for a few weeks now doing great...and for way less than I thought it would cost....

FWIW, I took the plunge on this. I picked up a pair of cuttlefish from B- on Sunday. They are pretty cool critters I must say. I have some live food and will be collecting some this summer, but I am indeed hoping that my pair will take some frozen food in the long run.

I have them in a 37 high tank. There are a few zoanthids and some macroalgae in with them. They seemed to adapt well. They are eating the live shrimp quite well at this point, and cruising about the tank.

They are both taking frozen shrimp now. I uploaded a video to youtube. When it's fully processed I will post the link.

Sorry, but I did not like the video above at all....(I think it was the narrator, but I just could not sit through the whole thing...lol)

Please check this video out for some awesome info on cuttles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWN6mvtUc4

...and of course come by the shop and check them out in person anytime....!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I did not like the video above at all....(I think it was the narrator, but I just could not sit through the whole thing...lol)

Please check this video out for some awesome info on cuttles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWN6mvtUc4

...and of course come by the shop and check them out in person anytime....!
I don't think you got the joke behind the video. It wasn't meant to be a strictly educational National Geographic style video. It's all in good fun. I find his videos to be hilarious!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Back