Mixing station pump recommendations

Konaroo

BRS Member
It's time to replace the pump for the mixing station. What's everyone's preference? Drop a submersible pump in? Or pipe in an external.

I have it all apart now because I noticed there was no hum from the nsw barrel today. Opened it up to find the pump died. And the barrel was filthy. Gave it a good cleaning. And scrubed the pump but still couldn't be revived.

I'm looking for pump recommendations/experience for either option.

Thanks.

Mine is external, a jebao. Its cheap, but never had an issue. Its not like a life support on a display so if it ever fails I can just replace it. Didn't see the need to spend extra money on the mixing station.

If you want a heck of a value, You can find Aqueon AQ 3000 pumps for about $30.00 online. It comes with fittings for running externally, so you can drop a hose into your container or connect to bulkhead fittings. I ran these pumps before switching to sine-wave units, but always had great performance from this big, dumb, uses more electricity than needed pump....lol

external for me also
A3B8C39A-077B-4CBA-A401-BB80EC71301D.jpeg

Thanks for the replys. I'm thinking external for longer life and ease of maintenance.

If it’s a multiple container setup with plumbing, then an external pump would work. If it’s a single container setup, then a powerhead would be easier.

If you plan to keep a standby / backup for your return pump, you might as well have the backup running on the mixing station. that way it will serve two purpose and will be available for emergency if the main tank return pump were to break down.

My setup is 2 brutes stacked. Top is rodi with floatswitch and bottom is nsw. A series of ball valves makes everything work. I find that my barrel of nsw gets super gross. So I'm thinking about a new external pump and poly tube for the dos and a new heater to avoid any contamination from the environment. (Basement). 20210515_093256.jpg

Back