Mushroom question

eSoteric

less fish = more corals
Ok i have had 2 red mushrooms and 2 large blue ones. the question i have it this.

My red ones repopulated on a small rock. i have since moved this small rock to other parts of the tank, and when i do this 2 more will usally pop up. why is it so easy for my red ones to repopulate all over my tank but not my blue ones?

keep in mind i dont move the blue ones sincethey have footed on a very large rock

Hi Josh,
It has been my experience that different species of mushrooms behave differently. I have both red and blue mushrooms in my tank, and the red ones don't spread nearly as fast as the blue or green ones. The red ones in my tank don't like to be moved - they shrink and sometimes melt if I move their positions. Remember that these animals are anemones . .. some need more light than others, some regenerate faster . ..etc. I keep a very close eye on all of the mushrooms in my tank .. . if they get anywhere near one of the SPS corals - it's outa there . . . They can crowd and sting SPS corals. So be careful!

I've had a similar experience as Paula. My blue mushrooms grow like weeds. The greens and reds grow slower - even when they are side by side. I have one flourscent red/pink one that I've had for years that has done almost nothing in terms of growth. And then there are those beautiful mushrooms that I believe Jeff (Stang8) has that start off as pink with polka dots and then as they mature they turn mint green. I've just been able to keep one of those alive. I sure wish I could get them to grow.

not me! I think those are jason jbundas... I had tried a few of them and never could keep them either. Yet they grow like weeds in his tank...

no, havent tried to spot feed. but now i know i gotta move my two star polyps away from one my my reds that has 3 babies near it. to bad. casue my star polyps were really enjyoing there new loation in my tank. ill give spot feeding some zoos to em and see how it goes!

I don't have much experience with them, but my mushrooms and ricordia that live right where the mysis gets blown everytime I feed are growing and dividing like crazy. The shrimp now live there so they can steal the food out of the mushrooms.

Those pink ones are the ones I am looking for. I had 3 of them and I put them in my 10 gallon nano which crashed while I was on vacation. Those guys melted.

I wanted some more for my 30 gallon tank.

My reds and greens both grow at about the same rate. At first my greens grew very fast but then all of a sudden my reds really took off. <shrug>

Kim

When we say they grow fast, what does that mean...give me the non-political answer where I actualy get relative specifics. 3 weeks, days, months? I have had purple shrooms for over a month and they all look the same to me...

Back