My First Attempt at a Negative Space Aquascape (NSA)

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
It took me a few hours to break up all the rock and build this! I ran out of glue so, I couldn’t keep going. Just ordered more glue and want to add to a little to this. I need to make 3 of these. Click the link to an 18 second video and let me know what you guys think of my first try!
Click Here

6B5B1583-C31A-4FF2-9039-1F9121DB0D44.jpeg

Baking soda and super glue?????? Also that scape looks great...allows alot of flow thru it but also little territories for the fish and things to nest :D I like it man! Also gel super glue tubes from dollar tree are always available:D:D:D:D

Baking soda and super glue?????? Also that scape looks great...allows alot of flow thru it but also little territories for the fish and things to nest :D I like it man! Also gel super glue tubes from dollar tree are always available:D:D:D:D
Thanks buddy! I used the sand and small rock particles from breaking up the rock along with thin super glue. It was easier than I though although it takes a while. I wanted to keep going but ran out of glue. Didn’t realize these little 2oz glue bottles were $11 a piece on Amazon and I used three for this structure. I can’t wait to get back to building. Have 2 more to make!

That looks great. I dig the hole and separate trunk. Try harbor freight for gel and glue masters for thin. Olson I used an air hammer to break up the rock it was almost to easy. Have fun.
I appreciate it! I’ll have to check it out!

I have half of a 16 oz bottle of the BRS thick glue left from my aquascape if you want it. I am in Upton. I just finished doing the same thing a few weeks ago with glue and then marco mortor.

Your rock came out good

Last edited:
I ju
So you tack rocks together with glue, then reinforce the joints with mortar? Think this would work with wet live rock?
i did a mix of wet and dry. And had good results with
Step 1. Superglue gel
2. Morter
3. Superglue thin and sand.
the epoxy puddy stick worked great for dry

I have half of a 16 oz bottle of the BRS thick glue left from my aquascape if you want it. I am in Upton. I just finished doing the same thing a few weeks ago with glue and then marco mortor.

Your rock came out good
I could definitely use that! How did your scape come out? Are you available after work today? I appreciate it!

So you tack rocks together with glue, then reinforce the joints with mortar? Think this would work with wet live rock?
Yes sir! And honestly, I don’t know. I assume it would work as putting frags on wet rock works fine. I guess you would have to be worried about how long the rock is out of the water. This took a few hours to make. Good luck!

I ju

i did a mix of wet and dry. And had good results with
Step 1. Superglue gel
2. Morter
3. Superglue thin and sand.
the epoxy puddy stick worked great for dry
How was the mortar part of this? I’ve never used mortar before..

The Marco morter works pretty well. Has a liquid that is mixed in which is suppose to give it some flexibility rather than just being straight concrete. It dries quick when working with it so need to mix a little at a time
The glue had held fine so far. Although I built it yesterday. It's still holding strong. I don't know how it would do long term with just glue and sand. I may have to reinforce with the morter!

The glue had held fine so far. Although I built it yesterday. It's still holding strong. I don't know how it would do long term with just glue and sand. I may have to reinforce with the morter!
I have used NYOS Reef Cement before. It is extremely hard and quick set cement. You could also use it under water, only down side is that it is gray but coralline algae does grow on it takes over after some time. You don't need to use it much but it does a good job, makes very strong bonds.

I have used NYOS Reef Cement before. It is extremely hard and quick set cement. You could also use it under water, only down side is that it is gray but coralline algae does grow on it takes over after some time. You don't need to use it much but it does a good job, makes very strong bonds.
I appreciate it! Like I said, idk if the glue is good long term but, it looks fine to me as far as looks go. The only thing that you can see if the sand is a little darker than the rock where I applied the glue. I guess time will tell. I might reinforce it with cement. BRS recommends it. When gluing down frags, the glue seems to stay adhered over time in my experience!

Back