my Rod's Onyx clown is really fat!

Mr.Rodrigo502

Non-member
my onyx clown is really fat....idk y..i feed my fix 4 times a week and i dont over feed. she is mated with my bones picasso clown...and her belly is really fat and round. she eats good and is really happy..they host a big rbta...i know fish do not get pregnant..they spawn. what could this be?

cut down on your feeding perhaps?
I feed my fish sometimes once a day and sometimes just once every other day.
If your tank is small, maybe you should try to trade for smaller one

i dont know...but its not the first time she gets like that...she was really fat like about 1.5 months ago..then got normal...now a week ago she got fat again...and i again im not over feeding...as im also trying to get my nitrates down to 0...but everything looks happy...should i put both clowns in a holding tankwith thier nem? or just let it be?

if its the same pair i gave you then shes pregnant .....that pair layed eggs like it was no tomorrow.......

yeah same pair ...Brady and Brewski ....i have a 3 gal acclimating tank i usually use to acclimate new fish into my display tank. should i hold them in there? maybe they will spawn...and if they have kids...u could imaging how they'll look...the father is the same one on my avatar. the Rods onyx is white with dark black and orange looks just like the one in John K 's tank featured on the home page of brs.

Last edited:
Huh, my ears started ringing for some reason :)

I would suggest leaving them alone and letting them do their thing.

It's a bunch of work to raise the babies, you would want food cultures already established, and your time now will be much better spent reading up on that process and deciding if you want to commit to trying to raise the fry. Chances are, if they are laying a batch now, they will do so again and again.

Also, sit back and watch this unfold. The behavior is really interesting, you will see the "shimmy swim/dance", cleaning the rock, Oviposter (is that the right term) show itself on momma's belly, egg laying, egg fanning / cleaning, and the progression of the eggs as they develop from orange to brown to silver to gone (hatched out).

Last edited by a moderator:
she ment fry as in a term used to describe baby fishies and they are not easy to raise you need experience or like michelle says they will be fish food.......

yea i think ill do some research first...ive had them for about 2 months and they have done this 2 times already. i got them with the same nem they use to host from a friend of mines. including a 40 lb rock the nem was attached to...and they always stay in the same place....only time they move away from the nem is at feeding time...even so...both clowns carry the food in their mouths and feed their nem...

she ment fry as in a term used to describe baby fishies and they are not easy to raise you need experience or like michelle says they will be fish food.......

yea im going to have to do some research on this topic. because the word fry to means another thing. btw i might need to restock my tank. got rid of alot of stuff i was getting bored of....got rid of my monster 12 inch toadstool! now i got a big dead spot in the center of the tank....fish love that space...........

It is work, I raise them when the adults cooperated. I enjoy it. I'm expecting oscillarius eggs to hatch tonight. You wont get rich breeding, but it pays for the salt to run the other tanks.;)

yea especially how the economy is right now.....but hey 3 more months i get my next raise! you do sea horses michelle?

Yes I keep Seahorses, I've tried to raise their Fry but unfortunatly I have never had any Luck , 6 weeks is the best I could get :mad:..So I gave up on them for now.::

o wow....how long does it take to raise the fry on clowns....i was in the blog section and saw u donated alot of clowns...how hard is it also?

It takes awhile for them to be old enough to sell. This batched hatched Nov. 20th. I'm finding that the true percs are slower growing then the oscillarius. Or not LOL it could be that the true percs batch was just that much larger this was my true percs first good batch and it was huge.

so it takes months for them to grow enough to be sold or given away....i think i might let u borrow my 2 clowns to see what comes out....what are the chances of getting onyx picasso fry with these two clowns?

Catch them when they hatch, and give me a call. LOL The odds are very low, I cant remember exactly ( big surprise) But I think it is less then 20% on onyx so to get a picasso I cant even imagine. That is why they get the big bucks for them... My daughter LOVES your avitar by the way.

Back