Rod's onyx and bones reef picasso clowns spawning!

These larval traps may also work. It looks like some people have
used them on clownfish. I have not tried it yet. They do work well with shrimp.
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=7104

"If you don't plan on committing for 6 months, I'd have to say let the system take them."

Good advice. At some point it might be an idea to make a post on raising rotifers and
clownfish to have as a sticky post at the beginning of this forum. Even if we post alternative
methods. Algae one would be helpful also.

Last edited:
ok so ill try to work with the equipment i have, i went over and took a look at the eggs....they are dark and have silver eyes showing.....so i wanted to know if there would be a problem if the eggs touch air when tranfering the live rock they are on to a 10 gal tank filled with my tank's water? i ordered my rotifers already so i should have them soon...

The first issue is how many rotifers do I add. You will have to do some math
The target is 8-15 rotifers per ml tank water.

1 US gallon = 3.79 liters
1000 ml in a liter
10 gallon tank = 37.9 liters
37.9 liters x 1000 ml/liter x 10 rotifer/ml = 379,000 rotifers (ml,liter cancel out)
If you ordered a million rotifers in a liter add about 38% of the bag.
Use the other half for starting the culture.

Some people will enrich the rotifer before feeding to clownfish. It helps them to survive metamorphoses

Here is some more information on
http://www.scienceasia.org/2011.37.n3/scias37_179.pdf
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=315

Last edited:
i do have one issue.........the rock they are on is in my sump/fuge underneith my display tank and there is about 6 inches of space between the belly of my dispaly tank and the top of my fuge tank.... :( and there is no way to syphon them out because it is at ground level................

Those eyes showed up quick, Could they have been there a few days before you noticed them? Is it just a few eyes or is the whole cluster showing eyes? Time to get out the turkey baster. ... I glue the bulb onto the tube so it has better suction.. Or see if someone has a fry catcher, I have never used one so I have no idea how they work. I have seen DIY fish catchers out there. Do you need to borrow anything?? Airpump, heater, small tank. Give me a call if you do. Leave the light on if your not ready, That may give you an extra couple days if they are ready.

Get those guys to hatch I wanna see what they look like n maybe snag a couple!

im trying to be the best arent i can to make this possible but this pregnacy is harder than i thought.....lol..........im also curious in how they are going to look...if i have no luck this time...i know i will have a next time.but even more prepared...

Waooo! fast progress.
My wife is still waiting for our pair of clownfish to lay eggs. They dance, cleaning the pot they live in, but no egg yet.
I definitely want to drop by to look at the new babies and learn a thing or two.

Back