Need advice for flow upgrade

jtmac

Aquaholic since 1999
BRS Member
I was looking to upgrade my wave makers and wanted to ask a few questions first

First of I have a 54G corner reef. Its a b**** to keep flow correct and wanted fix this. Forget the 400.00 pumps, not going to happen but what I am leaning toward it the wp10 series.

2 Jebao WP-10P aquarium wave maker with TWIN Dual controller TC-4A reef tank is nice but would I be better off with 2 single ones and keep it more"natural" flow? they are 530-1000gph I feel the wp-25 would be too powerful at 2300 make. I like the setting of random high to low to pulse for the reef. although they have the night feature and the 10's don't have.

any advice and experience with these pumps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

John

I have the same tank as you, and I used the WP25's at first, and they were too much flow. I swapped them out for WP10's and it was plenty of flow. Then I had a one of them die on me, got it replaced under warranty, and sold them.

If you are going to use Jebao pumps, go with the RW-4's...........they are a much better design then the older WP ones.

I would use two RW-8 (equal to WP25).
WP-10 is too small for a 54 gallon tank.
When you use them in wave mode (on and off), your actual flow rate is cut in at least half.
Manufacture ratings of GPH vary dramatically, so it is better to aim high and dial them down.

If you want to keep SPS, two RW-15 in a 54 gallon is not too much.

Thanks guys. I only have a few SPS, couple of easy caps and a birds nest. All crazy easy SPS. They currently are doing great under bad flow with my way underpowered Hydor koralia 750-850 on a wm. I'm sure that has been cut in half from the wm. I'm think the rw4 will work well for my 54. Plus I have a lot of rock. Does the night sensor only go slow setting in absolute darkness or will it work with moonlighting?
Thanks again.

I'll say this with regards to the amount of flow it produced, since you made it clear you aren't looking to purchase something that pricey. I had a 54 corner mixed reef with a single MP40 centered on one back panel running at 60% in pulse and there was not a single dead spot in that tank.

You can use the front curved glass to your advantage to get a nice circular current going in there (even with a pulsed wave). If you have the option to go a little larger (I am currently running jeabo WP series, which can't really be turned down) and be able to dial it back like the RW's can I'd say for sure go a little larger and experiment with it's settings and adjustability which will give you more room to grow with the tank. Properly sized and placed, you should be just fine with one pump in that tank.

Ok ill try out one rw8 vs the 2 4s. worst to worst I get another if need be. Thank you all for Christmas help! I just wanted to be sure I could run the big boys without a sand storm.

RW series can be dialed down to 10% power in 10 steps of speed. There is a large room to play with flow rate.
The WP series have three steps of speed control.

The problem with the Jebao pumps is that you can't lower the flow in Else mode thru the controller, you need to use a lower input voltage to lower the flow. Else mode is the random flow mode, which is a very popular mode.

I used 2 WP10's in my tank and it was plenty, I then went to a single RW8 at 16v instead of 24 and it was great but only in one direction around the tank. I then tried to use a single MP40 and it was the same problem.....flow only in one direction in the tank. Now I have 2 MP10's and it's great alternating flow with no dead spots.

These corner tanks are hard to get good even flow, the bowfront is very challenging to work with.

For RW pumps, I can control the flow rate just like any other mode. I have a bunch of RW-20, RW-15 and RS-8.

Not in Else mode............the controller looks like it's changing flow, but it's not. Only way to lower flow in Else mode is with lowering the input voltage to the controller. That's why they sell the adjustable power supply for them.

How about two Tunze 6040. Got two in my 40 breeder and have to turn them down. Had WP10s, very weak. They put out about 1200 gph each, have a controller built in and only coast $140 each. Much better quality than Jebao.

Nah im good. dont want to spend that on a pump. I know people say how awesome 300.00 pumps are like vortex but to be honest I see those FS here more then anything ( that and the AI lights ). I have never had a problem with mid grade pumps like Koralia, except latly they are not as good as one were. I don't keep a lot of SPS to warrant such a expensive purchase and the ones I do have all do good with a some what weak flow now.

Back