Need opinion on brown algae and other

Crib

Non-member
I saw a similar picture posted. Is this the brown algae that I would want out?
if so, how do you recommed removing it. In the second picture I have this hard bubble- like polyp with small bubbles attached?

Attachments

• brown 2.JPG
    brown 2.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 196
  • bubble.JPG
    bubble.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 200
The second picture appears to be a form of bubble algae. If popped the spores will spread through out your tank and more bubbles will appear. It can very easily get out of control. The best solution is to remove the bubbles by hand without popping them.

The second picture looks like bubble algae.. Dont break it or it will spread much worse. What I do it try to remove them and make sure I have a siphon going already. If they burst I try to get everything out with the siphon hose.

They are a Major PITA

Liam had that brown algae in his tank and I think the only thing that ate it was a naso tang. I'd check with Liam on it though.

That brown in pic 1 sure looks like lobophora (same as Liam's mentioned above) - remove that immediately. Take the extra steps to make sure you get it all. such as removing the rock and digging out part of the rock around it to make sure. That stuff can really take off and it's about impossible to get rid of since nothing eats it.

please advise

I can remove the LR from the tank. Can I use I wire brush to remove the brown algae?

The potential down side of using a wire brush is that it will break up the algae and potentially leave tiny pieces of it in the crevices of the liverock. You'd be better off using some cutters and digging underneath it, trying to remove the whole thing in one piece along with a little sliver of the rock it's sitting on.

It's hard for me to tell from the photo what the brown algae is. If it is just encrusting, and does not 'erupt' from the surface I'd not be too worried about it.

MUCH MORE of a concern IMO/IME is that the hair algae you have might infact by Bryopsis hair algae, which can be a really big problem as few things eat it. Do the tips of the algae look feathery (like Bryopsis)? Does it pull off the rocks easily (like normal hair algae)?

Back