Need an opinion on a new lens for my Canon 60D...

Which One?

• Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di VC USD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I just bought the Canon 70-300. I have not used it much but like what I see. I always go with the same name as the Camera. I used a Tamron before and it was ok but not as smooth as the Canon or as crisp. The Tamron is cheaper if its more to your buget than go with it.

What are you going to use it for? That would be my first question. Travel, kids sports, portraiture, general use?
Also what other lenses do you already own?

reason being?

Image and build quality will be better on the 70-200 and its consistent aperture at f4. Even if you were to add a tele converter 1.4X @ F/5.6 it will still be sharper then the 70-300 f/5.6. and about IS both of you need to be still for it to work, IS doesnt stop motion.. hope this help
-Vinny

The 70-200mm f4 has internal focusing and more elements the quality of glass given it's L glass tag means it should have far superior glass in it. Internal focusing in nice especially if you want to shoot with a circular polarizer, but it nicer all around. Metal construction over plastic and I believe weather resistant. It won't be super strong in low light but will be better than the Canon 70-300mm compared.

Would I want to lug it around traveling, not unless it was a f2.8 70-200mm, then hands down it would be my choice. But 70-200mm f4 is a better lens than the Canon 70-300mm listed and can be hand new for $675 @ Adorama the 70-300mm is $550 @ Adorama which is a reputable vendor.

The lens you listed is not a bad lens, it's a good travel lens that will produce very nice photos. More often than not equipment is not the limiting factor. Too often people say wow great photo what camera or lens do you have? Must be the equipment right?

Back