Need some lighting advice for my 20g

nickyblase

Non-member
Hi all -

Gotta love this hobby. Not even 6 months ago, I bought a 110W PC light for my 20G reef setup, and have had great luck with it. My corals are all thriving and look great, but now I WANT MORE, MORE, MORE!!!

Well, without spending gobs of money, that is. The tank now has the fixture sitting on top of the tank (not retrofit, since I don't have any type of cabinet or canopy above it). There isn't a whole lot of room left on top of the tank unless I take the plexi lid off (which would make me a little nervous, since I've got a couple potential jumpers). Any ideas on upgrading my lighting so I can keep brighter corals (and maybe a clam)?

It looks like this light, only without the legs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-...707154251QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

20H or 20L Nicky?

I ask because 20Ls look retarded if you build a big canopy on them...but a 20H you could get away with it.

My advice?

See if you can find someoen selling a MH fixture, and then sell the PCs...shouldnt cost you too muich if you can get $50 or $60 for the PCs.

It's a 20h, and you're right - I could just sell my PC's for a used MH. If I don't build a canopy for it though, I'd still want a fixture that looks okay by itself. Those 2 links that skimmed out gave were VERY cool. Thanks for sharing! I will probably lean toward either the DIY mod like one of those 2 links (that modifies a PC light to make room for a MH bulb), or just buy a used one that I don't need to hide with a canopy.

Has anyone ever seen one that looks cool on it's own? I've seen the pendant types, but if you hang them from the ceiling, wouldn't there be a whole lot of light deflected?

I am upgrading to a 20 right now. I just got a hanging MH pendant for my tank, instead of hanging it though I built a "stand" for it. Its not painted yet and the boarder is not up so it looks crappy now...I wont post pics till I get it finished... dont want anyone to see my bad work lol.

Basicly I just got a few 2x4's and nailed them in an L shape...put those on each corner and attached 2x1's across the top edges. I then took some eye hooks and put them on the top wood and hung the pendant from that :) if that makes any sense

If you add a MH light you're probably going to need to remove those plexi covers from your tank anyways, because they'll likely overheat your tank. If you don't have a canopy and are worried about jumpers, check with Paula. She came up with a clever monofilament netting solution that doesn't block any light, and doesn't detract visually.

Why don't you check out reef geek for T5's....Tek lights are real nice and can be equivalent of 150/175 MH...Reef Central has a lot of threads on T5's...Might be worth your while....I would not buy that Jebo fixture either T5 or MH is the way to go....T5 will give you more flexibilty bulbcolor wise.

Thanks - I will look into the T5's. Can you keep clams, acro, monti's, etc under T5 lighting?

Chris - I'm pretty sure it's a 24" fixture. If I can find something to replace them with, I'll definitely sell it to you (for cheap).

Merk - do you mean check with reefgeek to see how he like's his T5's, or because he's selling some?

You could try the T-5's, I have heard many people getting good coloration and growth on their Sps using these fixtures. Check out reefcentral there was a thread not to long ago about Sps and T-5's, But I think that you will be much better off in the long run going with Metal Halide. Either way, good luck with your decision.

A 175w halide over a 20 works well and is pretty easy to control temp. I have a 250w over mine it will bring the temp into the high 90's without a fan...

Back