Newly Mixed SW Question

Doherty

Non-member
This is the first time I have had to make a large batch of SW before (60 gallons) So I'm not sure if this is normal.

I am using IO salt.

Mixed up a batch last night around 7pm, and woke this morning to the water still very cloudy. I have multiple power-heads circulating the water, I'm heating it, and aerating it as well. The water was heated to about 76 deg prior to adding the salt last night. I have not added anything as far as supplements as of yet.

I have been using IO for a long time, and for me the water has always been crystal clear within a few hours.......... but on a smaller scale (largest batch I have made was 20g).

I had planned on switching everything over to my new tank system late tonight (like around 10pm tonight), If it is still a bit cloudy tonight, and all params are fine.......... Is it OK to still use it?

Any thoughts?

If everything tests fine then it should be fine. If your still worried leave it for 24hrs. I do 15 - 20 gal changes and use reef crystals sometimes it stays cloudy for a little while too.
I can always just come a d take that new tank off your hands Matt! Would look awesome in my living room! You can visit it anytime don't worry! LOL

You could always pull the PHs for a hour and let it settle.
It's possible it could be just air in the water that you're seeing(micro-bubbles).
But,I don't see any problems with using it.

It's not MB's.
Let is circulate for as long as you can. I get this as well when I make big batches and add too much salt at one time, I think some of the Ca precipitates out.

Is this a new batch of salt? I have had this happen with IO before and had to throw away 400 gallons worth of salt, It just stayed cloudy and would not clear. This was when I was setting up a tank so I mixed it in the tank. I let it sit and mix for about 5 days and it never cleared, couldn't even see the back of the tank. Thin I have a pic I will try to find it.

Back