not your average led build

DoctaQ

Non-member
ive been working on this led build for some time now i figured id share it with you guys. my plan is to create a height adjustable led fixture for a nano, 2.5 gal, yes, 5.5, pushing it probabally. i plan on using 4 blues and 2 whites which i imagine will give me about 20k, although i could just be imagining it.
the kicker though is that i will have a switch that will let me turn the whites to half power which would make the light even bluer, and i will have another switch powering the whites on and off completeley.

the unit will be heatsinked and fan cooled, run a little over 20w and equal over 70w of mh with none of the heat.

this build is not complete yet since i am still waiting on my blues. now for pics
what could possibly be sleeker and easier to raise and lower than a desk lamp?i plan to have no wires coming out of this other than at the base where the wire came out when it was a desk lamp anyways. hole in the back for the fan to vent. smile!
DSC02706.jpg
the driver behind all this, its a AMC based driver designed for flashlights, it has 4 chips(those little black rectangles) which give 350ma each, cree xr-e, the led i am using should not get the whole 1400ma this driver would give, so i modified(read:hacked up) the board to give two outputs of 700ma each which works out to about 2.5w each and about 160ish lumens(terrible measurement of light for reef i know). leds like any light are more effecient at lower power but from 350-700ma the power/output is pretty linear, its not until you reach past this that the output starts dropping off signifigantly
DSC02712.jpg
the whole bundle, lamp casing, with toggle switch inside, heatsink there next to it and power supply, i ended up cleaning up the wiring a bit, i know you guys love my green carpet its in the garage anyways.
DSC02721.jpg

im open to any ideas suggestions questions requests and propositions haha
i already have and plan on using 80 degree optics and putting this fixture about 15 or so inches from the bottom of the tank for good coverage based on par readings ive seen and bogus math.

WOW pretty cool idea. maybe a telescopic painter's pole or someting along those lines would work?

as far as mounting it goes i think im pretty set, see how the clipping part of the lamp has been cut in half, i plan on drilling the fixture to mount on to ply wood.

so, this fixture is going to light a 2.5 gallon at skiptons at the end of the sw row. the idea is that it will compare to the commercial fixture B is getting in.

I've been waiting for your DIY driver to finally come out of the closet! :eek:
Interested in seeing the final product. If you ever decide to get rid of that green rug, I am looking for a rug for my project area! :D

eh, i wish i could say it was a DIY, more like a mod
its honestly not that useful since its a linear regulator, the output voltage has to match the input voltage pretty closeley or the regulator will just burn the heat off. if there was such a thing as a 4v power supply this thing would be awesome.
if you wanna play with some i could give you some, im in boston, i also have a 5v power supply i could give you at cost.
it would work great with 3 batteries, which is its original intention.

that green rug is in my project area clearly haha

the number is tricky to work with though, 1400ma, the new xp-g is rated to take that much, like 500 lumens? beast!double xr-e output at 1.5 times the power.

The output on them is crazy! I was actually thinking of trying them out on another project that I might be doing. This time with meanwells and a light controller! ;)

Nice build doc! I like the use of the coralife fixture. I do think you need a few more LEDs for coverage but overall it looks good!

i ended up adding two more and i am totally satisfied with it now, i wish there were a way to get more shimmer in a planted tank

leds should be in later this week, could be done by the weekend, if i were to do this again, i would do the eletronics so much better

Back