Probiotics and Carbon Dosing - questions for Murray Camp

murraycamp

Non-member
First, I really appreciate BRS bringing me up to give the presentation. I enjoyed meeting all of you, and hope the presentation was informative.

Second, here are the initial dosing recommendations I explained in the presentation for mixed-source organic carbon dosing:

1. Mixture:

225 ml Vodka
25 ml Vinegar
1.5 tablespoons Sucrose/Glucose

2. Initial dosage:

- .1 ml/20 gallons NWV (net water volume) x3 days

- Split between AM/PM

3. Subsequent dosages:

- Days 4-7: increase dosage to .2 ml/20 gallons

- Each subsequent week add .5ml to dose (not to ratio) until NO3 and PO4 start to drop – maintain this dose

- When ULN state reached, gradually reduce to half as a maintenance dose

- Do not exceed 1.5 ml/20 gallons NWV

I recommend glucose over table sugar (sucrose). It can be found at health food stores and is usually sold as dextrose, corn sugar or grape sugar.

Hope that helps, and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Murray

Also, as I stated in the presentation, I have an article coming out in the next issue of CORAL Magazine (US ed.) that will contain a significant amount of the information I covered in the presentation, so that should be a good written reference source for any issues that may come up.

Murray, do you have a rule of thumb on what kind of volume of the Warner Marine (more hands off method) biopellets need to be used per a volume of water?

For example, you'd need X (amount) per 100g of net water volume, etc.

Murray, do you have a rule of thumb on what kind of volume of the Warner Marine (more hands off method) biopellets need to be used per a volume of water?

For example, you'd need X (amount) per 100g of net water volume, etc.

Jay:

I think .5 liters per 100 gallons is a good starting point, just enough flow so it tumbles a bit. You could probably do 1L/100 g and be okay.

Murry, would you suggest any of the methods for an LPS dominated tank?

Thanks

I think VGV with Prodibio inoculation would be a good way to go. It would allow you maximum control over nutrient levels, as I have seen some "LPS," such as various Fungiids, Acans, Trachyphyllias, ect., not do as well in aggressively driven zeolite-based methodologies. Although it certainly can be done, it has been my experience that it's trickier to get the right balance of dissolved nutrients with zeolite based systems.

HTH

Murray

I am using Tropic Marin Actif salt along with .500ml Np Bio-Pellets in a 60 gallon system. Tropic Marin claims it has "organinc compounds" in it and to do a 15% water change weekly. There has been a lot of speculation that this is Pro Reef Salt with added an added carbon source. I must admit that since starting to use it my tank is much clearer, I see an increase in skimmate and my corals are more colorful and open. DO you know anything about this new salt?

I am using Tropic Marin Actif salt along with .500ml Np Bio-Pellets in a 60 gallon system. Tropic Marin claims it has "organinc compounds" in it and to do a 15% water change weekly. There has been a lot of speculation that this is Pro Reef Salt with added an added carbon source. I must admit that since starting to use it my tank is much clearer, I see an increase in skimmate and my corals are more colorful and open. DO you know anything about this new salt?

I have not used it. I suspect they use calcium acetate, but the possibilities are many. If you are having good results, I say keep using it.

Back