pulsing zenia driving me crazy

metalfab

Non-member
I regretfully put a small frag in one corner and now it is everywhere and it is intrusive. Ive been researching how to eliminate and it looks like fluke tabs is an option but I understand they dont sell them anymore. they are deep in my rocks so manually removing is not really an option. Anyone with any suggestions or access to fluke tabs? Thanks

I did the same thing when I first got a tank. I've basically determined that I will never be completely free of them, but I typically putty over them or use tweezers to remove them if at all accessible. Good luck.

Joe

That really stinks... It is one of those corals that everyone loves because it is animated. But it grows like weeds.

Aiptasia-X works well to eradicate most soft corals believe it or not. Pull out as much as you can manually, then you can use this to cover the areas you pulled from. This has worked well for me for Paly's, Kenya Tree, and soon to do it on a patch of Xenia.

Edit: I was saying to manually remove Xenia, not Paly's. I would avoid manually pulling the Paly's due to their toxicity. I used Aiptasia-X directly on them and seems to work quite well.

I used as mixture of kalk and tank water then used syringe to apply. Small doses at a time.

I used as mixture of kalk and tank water then used syringe to apply. Small doses at a time.

I've done the same on some xinea and also used this for aptasia too. It works pretty well.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

When you pull the xenia, leave it in a bowl for a few days in your car. No lid, just let it air out.
It smells so good!

I put a few heads in the back tank of my toilet once a week - keeps the bathroom smelling fresh!

Is there anything that will eat this?

The critters that would eat the xenia would probably eat other valuable items in your aquarium. Example: raccoon butterfly. It'll eat your anemones, your soft coral, and probably your SPS coral.

When you pull the xenia, leave it in a bowl for a few days in your car. No lid, just let it air out.
It smells so good!

Is that like when Jack Lemmon leaves the dead fish in Walter Mathau's vehicle in Grumpy Old Men?

I keep my Xenias confined to a corner by pruning them every 2-3 weeks. I do not let them advance from that sector. But I recognize that my tank is only 14G and I can control them. They are very beautiful and I like it a lot.

I used to love xenia when I had the time to contain it in certain areas. Once I let my tank go, it rapidly took over the tank. Fluke tabs were what got rid of it for me, but I do miss the pulsing.

I still have some in my display refugium and may consider adding some in my display tank. Probably not though ;)

I'm having the same problem with peachy palys. How do I get rid of them !!!!

You can refer back to my thread about manual removal of the palys and what happened to me. If you do it, do it carefully. However, I have also used Aptaisia X to kill them off in the tank. If you choose this method do it in small patches and space them apart by at least a week or so. When I did small areas, perhaps 2" square, I had no problems. Then I decided to try doing a bigger patch (4" x 6") and had a major crash. Evidently the Paly's released toxin into the water. Every Seriatopora and Pocillopora in the tank RTNd and some species of Montipora were wiped clean- of course the nicest onces. The tank looked like this in the morning:

For whatever reason, every Acropora in the tank was untouched and had full PE right next to the skeletons. I am sooo thankful for that. I'm not saying to not use it. I still would, but just in smaller areas at a time.

Keep your water clean, that should really slow them down.

Cover them with something. Make them close and put sand over them, or that stuff used to glue corals. They sell one that is purple, so it wont look too bad.

I would pull the over run rocks and scrub off what you can. Then boil the rock or use a Kalk paste...you never know about xenia. I would do 1 rock at a time. Maybe someone would want xenia and would trade you an equal size rock. I'm hesitant about using meds to control coral growth...I'm a big advocate of the KISS method...too much intervention and you are bound to throw everything else off.

Back