purple monti ???

jango

Non-member
alright i have had issue's with this coral sinse day one,i cant keep it.i have tried it 3 times.my most recent piece almost dead,its going in someone else's tank tonight.most people i've talked to cannot kill this coral.
water par. are optimal
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
amonia=0
ph=8.2
alk=8 dkh
cal=440
lights=175w mh
this is what i dont get i have green and orange monti,pocillapora,6 different color milli's,blue tort,tan stag(dont know what wiil be), purple cap,and orange cap.there might be more but they are all doing great.
has anyone had an issue with something like this no matter where i put it in the tank i lose it high flow,low flow,high light,low light...
i dont know does anyone else have a problem like this with any coral...

daragon i will bring it by tonight and pic up the plate...

Oh no! Can you describe what's happening to it? Can you tell us what else inhabits your tank?

Digi's are pretty hardy. Any blennie or other fish picking or eating the flesh off the coral?? Is the piece in direct flow of a powerhead or something??

lam its not the purple tipped,just to let you know...
every one i have tried does the same thing,its bleaching very slowly and polyps are not extending,i have it in two different spots in my tank both pieces are doing the same thing...its not bleaching from top to bottom but the whole piece turns grey then dies off...
i only have one fish left(mass fish suicide) its an orange skunk,1 peppermint shrimp,1 skunk cleaner,some snails and hermits,a few lps,one toad stool,zoa's and shrooms
thanks lam didnt mean to scare you...lol

the bulb is about 6 months but is strong,every thing else's color is great(acro's monti's),one piece i had in low light faded out to grey,when i put it in high light it started burning the tips,its the only coral ive had real issues with...
its 1 175 over a 20L
wrassefan,i only have the orange skunk,i had a bi-color blenny that loved sps he started the whole fish mass suicide thing...

My purple monti thrives under 175s. I've had problems ONLY when my powerheads fall/slide and redirect, therefore causing too much flow for the coral. I've fragged this coral many times and given/sold it to others. Gumhead had it under 250's I believe and it did well although it changed from a deep purple to the blue/purple it was when I got it at the LFS. Another buddy had it under PC's and it is still growing like weeds.

I would suspect that there is some chemical warfare, or water flow problem.

David

i have it in high flow and med flow(2 pieces),no other coral in my tank does this only the purple monti...

if it was chem warfare wouldnt other corals show the same signs,i know this is a very hardy coral thats why i am confused this is the third try at purple monti...

My green, orange and purple tipped monti's do well under medium flow. The purples don't like much flow at all. Of course, each coral, even in the same genus will react differently to these variables. It all depends on their original grow out conditions and where they are placed thereafter.

I've had corals chemically "duke it out" within just a few square inches of themselves without affecting corals 6 inches away. It depends on the corals; whether or not they have sweepers etc. Softies can expell toxins that are fatal to corals nearby, but are diluted the further away you get from the colony.

If you lose them all, let me know. I can frag some more of mine and you can try with yet another colony. No problem...

Dave

Where'd you get it from and how bout the acclimation process getting it into your tank? How long is the longest you've managed to keep it going in your tank?

dave thank's for the offer but they are going into daragons tank,monti's love his tank...ive already killed to many i will try it again when i set up the 75..
one of them mat have flow that has gone over my toadstool but the other is not even close to it...

the 2 that i already killed i just dumped in the tank,but they died so this one i slow dripped this one for about an hour or more,its been in the tank about a month slowly degrading...
i got it from scavdog after he fixed his alk issues,it was very healthy when i got it..
i think the last one was about 2 months they dont just rtn or die off its a long slow process...

Back