quiet return pump help

DamonB

Non-member
Hello again everybody, after running some tests i have concluded my return pump is too loud. Its vibrations can be heard the room over and aren't ideal for sleeping with. I am currently running with an aqueon 17000 for the 3 feet of 3/4 pvc (can be changed) from a 10 gallon sump to a 29 gallon tank the pump needs to be quiet affordable and fit in a 6/9.5 in section thanks :confused:
edit: will not be only flow in tank, will work along jeboa rw4

Last edited:
Do you have any flex tubing on the return? That reduces vibrations and thus noise.

I use a sicce synchra return pump and it is dead silent. Also adjustable.

I just picked up the sicce synchra 2.0 it has suction cups which isolate it from the glass bottom of my sump. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454241087.584276.jpg

I have a sicce syncra 3.0. It's not setup yet because I'm still running my mag 7 but from what I've seen and been told you can't go wrong with them.

Either the 1.0 or 1.5. Depends on how much flow you want through the sump. They are adjustable so you can throttle back as necessary.

So as Becky said much vibration comes from rigid pvc. Many people place a section of vinyl tubing in the return line to allow for some absorption of the vibration.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

In the past I have run silicone all over the bottom of my pumps and let it dry, instant shock absorber

I also cut the tube/piping a little short and have my pump hanging about a 1/4" off of the ground. as long as the piping is well supported I don't see why the pump needs to rest on the floor.

I also cut the tube/piping a little short and have my pump hanging about a 1/4" off of the ground. as long as the piping is well supported I don't see why the pump needs to rest on the floor.

I have a DC pump now with silicone tubing dead silent....with my old setup I also elevated my pump an inch or so off the bottom with flexible tubing...very effective. Another option is to rest the pump on a plastic bag filled with damp sand.

Jim

to size the pump you will want 5-10 times the display volume through your sump an hour. head pressure can affect this greatly . also the amount of bends in the return line . the sicce is a good pump . ehiem are great too. for DC I would go with BLDC or red dragon . the echotech pumps are nice but its the first year for them . they will have to work out the kinks first . all good advice above too

Won't hurt to throw a valve on the return line to the tank if your pump has no flow adjustment built into it. Overflow or drain setup restrictions may make it necessary. It did for me.

i have a valve and will get some sponges the sicce 1.0 and use a small piece of flex tubing, hopefully this will work, because my current one just broke on me:( i added live sand to cycle and it got a pebble stuck and now the motor barely works

The valve on the discharge side of the pump is bad for the pumps. Your better off installing a Tee with a valve an some piping pointed back into the sump. If you open the valve it will just dump water back into the sump instead of creating pressure in the return line. Works just as effectively and doesn't put stress on the pump.

If he goes with the Sicce, they have the adjustable intake so I guess the valve would not be needed if flow needs to be dialed back.

Back