Rad's 46 Gallon MACRO-ALGAE Tank.

Added two Kuda seahorses to the macro tank last week.
image-1.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

Sargassum is getting out of control. This is after pruning. The larger seahorse was burned 3 months ago by a heater I had in the display. She lost an area of flesh about the size of a dime on her body that went right to the skeleton and also a small patch on the head and tail. I thought it was a goner but it hung in there, i was sure it would succumb to a secondary infection because the area was so large. She kept eating and I applied triple antibiotic ointment to the wound a few times a week. It took all this time to heal but it finally closed up completely this week. You can't even tell at all now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368655020.008961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368655104.724203.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368655152.194184.jpg

1- what's that yellow stuff next to the sea horse?
2- can you let me know when you will be cutting some of the algaes? I will buy them.

I'm looking into adding macro algaes in between some of my rocks.

1- what's that yellow stuff next to the sea horse?
2- can you let me know when you will be cutting some of the algaes? I will buy them.

I'm looking into adding macro algaes in between some of my rocks.

The stringy green stuff is C. Barbata, the brown on the rock is sargassum and the yellowish green is Codium. You can actually find codium in this area in the summer at the beach. It does not do well in temps approaching 80 degrees. I keep this tank at 71. The good thing about the codium, aside from the fact that its free, is that it does not anchor with roots and does not spread all over the place like many other algae. I don't think you want the sargassum in your tank because in my experience it is more prolific than caulerpa. The C. barbata is really nice, semi calcerous algae that does not root as far as I've seen. I also have several species of caulerpa that were doing well until I dropped the temp to 71. They were shocked and I had a lot of die back, they are starting to come back now though. I also found a caulerpa predator that was doing a number on it. It is a species specific sea slug. I will try to find a pic of it. If you want any of this algae you're welcome to it, just be aware that it will overrun your tank, check out the before pic from not too long ago to compare.

Here's the slug that was preying upon my caulerpa. It was awesome looking, like a small neon green sea hare.
Scientific name: Oxynoe viridis
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368673499.765296.jpg

Back