Rad's 75 gallon mixed reef......

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0350-1.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

I needed to move the elegance coral to lower flow because it wasn't looking too happy where it was. It's in the bottom right hand corner below the MP10 and looks much better. Its accepting mysis well. I trimmed the star polyp colony on the sand bed quite a bit and replied the elegance with the lobophyllia in the center.

I've been dealing with a cyanobacteria outbreak over the past month. It is mainly on the sand bed. My tank is in the office and there is a window facing it, every summer the afternoon sun shines through the window right into the tank. All of my coral love it and grow like crazy but so does the cyano. I'm also getting a ton of green glass algae. I just got an Innovative Marine media reactor today and started GFO to see if I can eliminate it. The reactor looks pretty well made, the flow can be adjusted both by a dial on the pump itself and by turning the internal sleeve component. It also has a pretty small footprint and is completely silent. Hopefully it works.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368584076.630059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368583903.807634.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368584035.595407.jpg

I am sure you researched a bit, but go easy with GFO. It strips the water column quickly. After upping my quantity (from about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup) I had lost color in a lot of corals. No bleaching, just an obvious lack of color within a weeks time. Just a friendly reminder to avoid over dosing. Your tank looks spectacular, keep up the good work!!

I am sure you researched a bit, but go easy with GFO. It strips the water column quickly. After upping my quantity (from about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup) I had lost color in a lot of corals. No bleaching, just an obvious lack of color within a weeks time. Just a friendly reminder to avoid over dosing. Your tank looks spectacular, keep up the good work!!
The instructions called for 1-3 TBS of media per 20 gallons. I figured I have roughly 100 gal of water so I went with about 10 TBS. Now I'm freaking out a little that I may have used too much, I'm going to take some out. Thank you for the compliments, I have changed a lot since the last FTS, got rid of some stuff and added other stuff. My rabbitfish ate all my nice gorgonians as well. I will take a few pics tomorrow and see if I can update.

I didn't mean to cause panic, but just making sure you are aware of its capability. If I recall correctly it is suggested to start initially with a half dose, as to not create such a rapid change in nutrients in the system. Another trait which has been apparent with use of GFO is a slight change in ALK which is likely related to the amount used. Anything changing quick in a reef tank usually isn't good. Good luck, looking forward to some new pics. That pink nest must be huge by now!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. The birdsnest is way too big. I don't know what to do with it because it is taking up a ton of room and I'm dosing over 120ml of B-ionic every day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376966301.844420.jpg
New Copperband Butterfly. Eats PE Mysis like a champ twice daily, probably 30 pieces at each feeding. He is also doing a number on the aptaisia. He comes to the front glass and begs for food, a really nice flashy fish.

Love the pic of the crab in the rock anem's mouth. Tanks looking great.
Still can't get over that birds nest it's crazy, like a big calcium sponge lol

Back