RBTAs: What's up?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I was just wondering how people's RBTAs are doing and thought I would share what happened with mine.

I got one from the group buy and one in the MACNA tank. Neither were doing fantastic because of water quality issues in the MACNA setup. Once I got them both into a warmer stable tank, both were doing ok, but still moving a lot and deflating frequently and not very sticky. They both ate , but bairly. The MACNA one started out pretty bleached.

So I picked up some livestock from another BRS member and ne gave me a few other fish because he was breaking down his tank. One was a maroon clown which I didn't really want. I put it in the tank and a few days later, while Eliot was watching, it found the MACNA anemone. It really was amazing to see the fish dive into it and snuggle and do that anemone-clown stuff. Within an hour the anemone had come out of its dark crevas and was spread out fully on a higher rock. I had never seen it look so big or be under the bright light like that. After a day, I tried feeding it and the tenticles actually reached out for the silverside and were sticky as heck. Since the clown moved in it has stayed in the brightest spot in the tank and has only deflated once to poop. The color has come back to the base and the tenticles are getting longer.

The other RBTA that didn't host the clown continued to deflate every day and moved around constantly. It wouldn't eat and allthough it wasn't bleached, it wouldn't eat. It parked itself next to the heater one night and died when the heat came on.

I know they say an anemone doesn't need a clown, but the difference was so huge and happened so fast It clearly wasn't coincidence. The MACNA anemone always looked much worse than the group buy one, but that changed in hours.

Mine is doing really well even after 2 floods and moving my tank home. It still hasn't settled down completely since the recent comotion, but eats when ever I feed it and the color looks good. After I had to move it off my zoas the other night I thought I had done some real damage, it was gaping a bit. I fed it last night and this morning it looks in tip top shape. It has definetely been the main attraction in my tank since it's arrival. Now I just need some clowns for it.

Cindy,

My RBTA is doing excellently down in the quarentine tank. It is fully inflated, and voraciously took food once or twice. I'm sorry you lost the other RBTA. At least you have one good one.

Do you remember how ill I was the day I drove up there to get it? I was trying my hardest not to throw up in your house! I was sick for three days after that, and almost had to go to the Hospital for dehydration!

Thanks again for your efforts with the group by,

Matt:cool:

Cindy...I got one from you he is doing pretty good we put him/her int he tank and let it be for about 2-3 weeks then got him a pair of maroon clowns. Only problem was the clowns were pretty big (1.2 and at least 3") and the RBTA was only about 2.5" so the big clown was really hammering it. It was constantly in a different spot in the tank and the clowns were right on its tail. Iw would eat silvers pretty well. We ended up getting a green BTA that is about 5-6" and the clowns went right to that. I am in the process of setting up a 30 gal and once it is ready will move the rose to that and get a small clown for it.

Ba19Ma88 said:
Cindy...I got one from you he is doing pretty good we put him/her int he tank ....
Here's a question for thought: Do BTAs have gender? Many species do not. I'm kind of curious if my BTA is a boy or a girl, or just an 'it'...

Matt:cool:

Cindy, it is great that your clown is now hosting the BTA. I have had a green one for 3-4 months now and my two clowns still don't host him. He looks great too...

i would think that btas do not have gender since they split to reproduce. the point of having a male and female is to produce offspring through sexual reproduction? so since a bta can split by itself, i say a bta is an "it."

btw, i have no evidence of what i just said. i'm just trying to reason it out. haha. :)

They are male or female. They split under stress. IMO not to reproduce but rather to make sure they stay alive.

In the wild they reproduce sexually. The females release eggs and the males release sperm, Or the anemone equivalent of these things. This ocationally happens in tanks and makes a mess.

Anyone think that putting a divider in the tank and letting my Ocileris watch the Maroon in the rose will teach her to take to it? People say pictures sometimes work.

Mine must have split in the bag cause I was a lucky one that got 2 in the deal...I put 1 in each of my 2 tanks. The one in my 90g is in a hidden spot and, until tonight, was getting stung by my purple tip anemone (moved that rock away).

here's the one in my 15g...

Attachments

• rose.jpg
    rose.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 263
Back