Saved a fish, and could use some advice...

tonyspo

Tonyspo
BRS Member
My buddy grabbed a angel fish that was being attached by another angel from someone yesterday. We acclimated it to my tank (which is newly up and running). It is the only fish in there. When we put it in yesterday, it seemed to be doing just fine. I tried feeding it a little today, it didnt touch it....and for the past hour, almost two, it is pointing its mouth/beak out of the top of the water. Not sure if this is normal (doesn't seem it).

Anyone have any advice, etc....??? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated...

Bad choice for a new tank, they are hard to keep even in a well established tank chance of survival are slim at best.

Jim

Really? The tank is beyond ready...its been cycling for almost 2 months..everything is testing dead on..... Hopefully it makes it...thanks for your input..

It actually looks EXACTLY like your avatar...

Tony
that's not an angle in Jim's avatar. It's a copper band butterfly fish. Very poor survival rate in the hobby. The best chance this fish has in to put it in a very well established tank with out ANY aggressive fish. They are very timid and easily stressed.
Not being a jerk, but your setup will not support this fish.

It is in its own tank, and it is ONLY temporary, until his 75 is up and ready (hopefully another 2 or 3 weeks max). Believe me, I KNOW this is way to big and not for the setup I just got up and running (2nd tank). It just needed a home for a few weeks.

AND the fish in question IS a Butterfly Fish, not an Angel. The Angel was attacking this, therefore thats why my buddy grabbed it. Thats my bad...

"for the past hour, almost two, it is pointing its mouth/beak out of the top of the water. Not sure if this is normal (doesn't seem it)."

Gasping for air is never a good sign.

I understand what you are saying, believe me, including the circumstances.....I posted this so I could get some potential assistance from someone.....

do you have a skimmer??? surface aeration? air pump/stone????

what do you have to introduce air into the water

Put him in my 55 fuge. Not looking to good, but best chance it has.
Just my own opinion, but I wish copper bands weren't imported in to the the trade. The survival rate kind really s***s.
I was in a LFS yesterday.There was a guy in there buying some fish for a F.O. He's buying a C.B. Looking at a 4"- 5" one, that's absolutely stressed out. The sales clerk talks him into a smaller one from an upper tank. Say's to the guy "this one's probably eating it cane right to the top when I opened the top."??? "We usually only have then 5 or 6 days before someone buys them or they go the the way of the copperband."
Sorry for the hijack and long winded post. Just really hate to see the ugly side of the hobby.

Thanks to Bill (nichols41), he has a good temporary home for it. Hopefully it gets better...Thanks again Bill!

Over a six year period I have had three CBB first one for a bit over three years, second only a week or two, third almost three years. I have done pretty well with them but they can be difficult.

Jim

Dont Copperbands rarely accept most fish foods?Iv had bad luck with them,eating small bits of live brine shrimp and mabey some frozen mysis shrimp and slowley withered away.Sad to watch.Its in the best place it could be with all the copopods ect. in a sump.Best of luck they are awsome little buggers.

It's at least swimming a little now. Doubt it will survive. Pretty malnourished. The tank it's in has a lot of live food in it. Just have to see if it decides to eat.

Thanks again Bill, appreciate it, as well as my good friend. If it's going to make it, its going to make it in your environment where it can flourish the best.....

Back