Scavo's 60 cube

The "fishless" cycle was completed in just under 3 weeks using Dr Tims Ammonia Chloride and Fritz 9. It could not have gone smoother. The system was cycled 100% with Natural Sea Water. Levels tested nominal for NSW. After cycling I bumped DKH and Calc using a kalkwasser drip.

1637120718670.png
1637120682535.png

In an earlier post I mentioned the sump was to be located in the basement. In fact, I decided to place the sump in an enclosed area under my 3-season porch which also houses pool pump equipment. This location provides a proper fish room. Because of the long run of pipe, both feed and drains, I purchased .5" thick heavy-duty self-sealing insulation from an HVAC supply house. Hopefully things stay toasty in the dead of winter.

The sump that is being used is a food grade container that I have had for many years. It measures approximately 4'x4'x3' and was once used by one of our members to feed a propagation table. It was cleaned up, tested and outfitted with new bulkheads.

DSCN2046.JPG

Aquascape 20211115.jpg

The tank in it's current state. The majority of the rock is in the sump.

Inhabitants:
Cleaner Shrimp
Hermits / Snails
Japanese Pink Nepthea (Thx @coralfishreef )
Entacmaea quadricolor (Thx @BiGGiePauls33)
Blue Zoos (Thx @BiGGiePauls33)
Bubblegum Montipora Digitata (Thx @BiGGiePauls33)

Nice. I'm always in favor of a big sump concept. Just fill it up with liverocks and let nature do its work for you.
I spend a lot of money on heating starting about right now until April in an unheated basement sump and anemone tank.

View attachment 132285

Might as well start somewhere...

Diving back into the hobby after about a 8 + year hiatus.

60 gallon custom starphire cube. This little guy was assembled at a club diy meeting back in the day. I acquired at an auction and it's sat ever since.

Stand is near complete. Going for a contemporary look. No lip. No trim. No rim.

View attachment 132286

Lighting is an XR 30 pro.

The majority of the flow will most likely be provided via DC return pump located in the basement @ the 75 gallon sump. Looking on pump advice. Looking at a Neptune 1500gph option.

Still trying to decide if I should drill and install a ghost overflow. Not thrilled about the exposed plumbing though. I'm leaning towards keeping it simple and drill the bottom, install center or corner overflow utilizing a durso with emergency drain. Is a ghost really all that?

I'd live to hear some feedback from you cube nerds out there. I'm on the fast track to catching up on the state of the hobby. All comments are welcome.

Best

Joe
Scavdog back in action ❤

I am finally going update the worlds slowest build thread:

I worked on this tank on and off throughout the pandemic. My mind has been back and forth on the approach to take on the build.

The final criteria:

• Clean look and fee - No holes in the floor. No clutter under the stand.
  • Ability to easily deal with water changes using NSW in most cases.
  • Remote sump in an enclosed porch basement.
  • Modularity - Provide for future expansion for basement office tank.

The tank was originally built by BRS past president and member @Dave McReeferson. It had never seen water and has been in storage for quite some time. The entire tank was constructed from starphire glass.

View attachment 167438

I ended up settling on a ghost style overflow. I scrutinized the type of overflow that I wanted and finally settled on a Modern Marine 16". The overflow oversized for the 60, but I wanted options. The 16 gave me a ton of surface skimming ability. The box has 3x 1" drains for my Bean Animal setup. The 2x 3/4" returns are supplied from a 1.5" main that is fed by a variable speed pump. The build quality is the best I have seen and it's dead silent, since setting up.

View attachment 167427View attachment 167439View attachment 167441

View attachment 167437

Plumbing was something I dreaded. I was not looking forward to the task to get through the wall and into the basement. It had to look clean. To accomplish this I decided to use a washing machine outlet box. With a little modification, it fit the bill nicely.

View attachment 167428View attachment 167429
Love the washing machine connector

I think you old timers should just start a tank so that more ghosts from the past would show up. :D
This reminds me that my BRS join date is 05/2004 when we broke off from RC. 17.5 years and counting. Man. I’m getting old.

I think you old timers should just start a tank so that more ghosts from the past would show up. :D
This reminds me that my BRS join date is 05/2004 when we broke off from RC. 17.5 years and counting. Man. I’m getting old.
How have you been man?!

I miss the hobby and the BRS but i live on a boat now so can't have a tank. I do get to dive in my own back yard though
Joe Yaiullo lives on a boat and has a tank. Not sure about anymore though. Different boats I believe as well.

Back