Scott's Fairy Wrasse...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
In looking into getting another fish I've been thinking of a Scott's Fairy Wrasse. First thing is anyone have exp with them along with a 6line? Our 6line isn't a bully currently and it's not totally out of the realm of sticking him in my FOWLR but I'd like to keep the 6line in the tank...

Second thing is we have a 55 gallon (about 65-70 total volume) with an orchid dottyback, 6line, pink spotted shrimp goby and a pair of true perc's. I've been looking at "min size tank" and have seen a huge range from 30-125+ gallons... So looking for thoughts if the 55 would be too constrictive if I could pull it off...

I've seen them together in a 55 at the LFS, as far as long term, I wouldn't think a 48" tank would be too constrictive, and from my experience fairy wrasses really haven't bothered eachother, how big is this 6-line?

I would think you'd be alright with your size tank Dave. However, I would recommend getting a pair if you go with a Scott's or Exquisite Wrasse, those color patterns that attract you to them in the store are likely to fade without the stimulation of someone to show off for.

I've seen them together in a 55 at the LFS, as far as long term, I wouldn't think a 48" tank would be too constrictive, and from my experience fairy wrasses really haven't bothered eachother, how big is this 6-line?

The sixline is about 2-3"

I would think you'd be alright with your size tank Dave. However, I would recommend getting a pair if you go with a Scott's or Exquisite Wrasse, those color patterns that attract you to them in the store are likely to fade without the stimulation of someone to show off for.

Thanks for the advice Dave... I think my tank could prob handle 2 extra fish because of the oversized skimmer...

sixlines can get very nasty

From my own experience in a 75, I had a cute little six line who (now I know better) was added to the tank early on. He established himself, and later came to bully every other fish I put into the tank. Fish , like people, can have varying personalities within the same species. Mine was a real a-hole.
Also, getting a bully sixline out of an established system is incredibly tough

From my own experience in a 75, I had a cute little six line who (now I know better) was added to the tank early on. He established himself, and later came to bully every other fish I put into the tank. Fish , like people, can have varying personalities within the same species. Mine was a real a-hole.

naw it's easy to take care of them, just add a carpet anemone ;)

+1, they are mean. but its easy to get them out. use a glass round fish bowl and some mysis.

I had a pair, beautiful fish, I really liked them. One jumped to it's death while I was on vacation, and the other jumped or tryed to jump, smashing it's head on the cover, every chance it got. I traded it for tyree green leather. But I realy liked them when I had the pair, if my tank was deeper I would try another pair.

I was going to write this very thing Dave, but it seems my hubby beat me to it!

I had a sixline that was a model citizen, until I got my Melanurus(?spell) wrasse. He picked on him non-stop. I finally caught the six line, and he was sent to the land of mis-fit toys (my sons tank). You might be OK, but mine was small, and the new one was more than twice his size. I thought it was going to be the other way around.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Back