Testing for phosphates and nitrates in an established aquarium

sumant19

BRS Member
Just wondering if people regularly test for nitrates and phosphates once their aquarium is established; unless there are any obvious signs or reasons like algae growth or death of multiple/big living creatures in the aquarium etc...

My aquarium is now 5 yrs old and last time I checked for nitrates and phosphates is probably 1.5yrs back.. Want to see if I am potentially walking off some cliff by not testing for nitrates and phosphates .. For the record, I test Calcium and Alkalinity weekly and Magnesium monthly.

Just wondering if people regularly test for nitrates and phosphates once their aquarium is established; unless there are any obvious signs or reasons like algae growth or death of multiple/big living creatures in the aquarium etc...

My aquarium is now 5 yrs old and last time I checked for nitrates and phosphates is probably 1.5yrs back.. Want to see if I am potentially walking off some cliff by not testing for nitrates and phosphates .. For the record, I test Calcium and Alkalinity weekly and Magnesium monthly.
I usually test the full gamut at least monthly as I don't do water changes and then adjust accordingly. I do run a carx and usually check dKH and Po4 bi weekly just to be sure. I also send out an ATI-ICP test about every 6 weeks.

While it's always a good idea to have a rough estimate of your nutrients, the frequency you test really depends on what kind of aquarium you're keeping. If it's just fish, not much of a reason to test unless you're battling algae or other uglies. Same goes for a super easy/low maintenance softy tank. If you keep any type of stony coral, you'll want to test more frequently, as these corals are typically more sensitive to PO4 and NO3 swings.

Always keep in mind that it's easier to keep numbers consistant week to week with frequent testing and maintenance, rather than letting nutrients build up for long periods of time and trying to bring them down again. Plenty of people have success with high nitrate and phosphate, it's more about keeping the nutrients consistant than anything. IMO, more data is always better, but make sure you're not going crazy chasing "perfect" numbers; there's no such thing.

What kind of tank inhabitants do you have? Any corals?

Knowledge is power, but the proof is in the pudding. If your tank meets your expectations than I’d just keep doing what you’re doing though if you think it could use some improvements, then testing more parameters may help inform you on ways you can improve.

Is there something happening that you are trying to correct or hoping for better growth or coloration? If you’re happy and the corals are happy and growing I wouldn’t change it if it ain’t broke don’t fix it sort of speak.

Is there something happening that you are trying to correct or hoping for better growth or coloration? If you’re happy and the corals are happy and growing I wouldn’t change it if it ain’t broke don’t fix it sort of speak.
My tank is predominantly SPS + LPS and I am happy with the things the way they are.. Good coloration, good growth. I stopped testing Nitrates and Phosphates because every time I kept getting 0 or very close to 0 values for both.

I understand more data is better (in fact, this is my common stance when at work), but the phosphate/nitrate data after 3yrs or so was just that.. data.. which was not actionable because it was always very low/0.

I am not advocating for not testing for these parameters.. but wondering whether there comes a point where there is testing just for the sake of testing..

I don't really test for either phosphate and certainly not nitrate. Of course my system has been set up for >11 years. I think if you make a big change (like switching calcium reactor substrates for instance, or maybe salt mixes) you might want to test...yet I didn't when I changed, but I did so slowly (mixed them at first).

Geez, it's been a dog's age since I last test for either but now you got my curiosity up. So I just tested. Nitrate came in at 5 ppm and phosphate at 1.58 ppm. I guess that's a bit high for phosphate but tank looks fine.

Joe, is it even possible to get a phosphate number that high? I'd question the test, no?

I test PO4 every month. Just to confirm its between .02 - .05. If not I try and adjust. I do weekly 10g water changes on a 65g volume system. I like to test PO4 becuase IME the best growth Ive experienced in my tanks is when I have detectable PO4 but not too much that browns out the stix.

I test my with trident for calc/mg/alk almost daily and then use a salifert to confirm monthly. I dont test for nitrate.

Joe, is it even possible to get a phosphate number that high? I'd question the test, no?

Well, I just did another test to check and it came out to 1.54 ppm.

I use a Hanna checker and the reagents have a year to go before they're expired. Also this is the first time I've ever noticed the solution visibly turn blue after adding the reagent. So I've reasonably high confidence in the reading.

And it's in line with what Richard Ross had in his tank once upon a time.

I am having one issue in my tank. Every now and then a Red Dragon frag randomly RTNs. Maybe the high phosphate is the cause?

1678380878972.png

Just used my phos ULR reader for the first time lol

Attachments

• 07E845A9-6E0F-488A-B73A-B2A61557A39A.jpeg
    07E845A9-6E0F-488A-B73A-B2A61557A39A.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 88
I test nutrients twice a week still, oldest tank I have is 4 years. It's my paranoia, if something goes south I want to know sooner rather than later. Most of the time I have to dose nutrients

Threw a bag of GFO in the filter sock yesterday and the phosphate is down to 0.87 today (from 1.54). Didn't think it'd work that fast.

I’ve found that the vials for the Hannah test can give high readings if they are not perfectly clean. I always rinse the vials out with ro after each test. Each time I test I rinse the outside with ro and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.

My wife performed a phosphate test and the reading came back at .8….. I redid the test using the same reagent making sure the vial was clean and the reading came back as .04.

Just sharing my experience.

Back