Testing for phosphates and nitrates in an established aquarium

0.74 today. Thinking the GFO is getting saturated. :cool:

1678545314084.png

I’ve found that the vials for the Hannah test can give high readings if they are not perfectly clean. I always rinse the vials out with ro after each test. Each time I test I rinse the outside with ro and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.
Another thing I try to do is to always insert the vial into the tester in the same orientation - with the "10ml" printing facing forward. That way if there is a smudge on the glass, it'll be the same smudge during the calibration reading (before adding the reagent) and the final reading.

I haven't tested in a long time, but now that I'm having a problem, I realize my nitrates are climbing. I added one more fish that has wreaked havoc with my tank, but I like him in there so I'm trying to find a balance. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to reduce and manage my nitrates without weekly water changes.

Another thing I try to do is to always insert the vial into the tester in the same orientation - with the "10ml" printing facing forward. That way if there is a smudge on the glass, it'll be the same smudge during the calibration reading (before adding the reagent) and the final reading.
For those vials that the wording has disappeared I drew a small arrow with a sharpie on the cap. Also don't trust the 10ml mark on those vials as they are notoriously wrong. Always use a 10ml syringe.

Last edited:
Back