water changes and how often

MorpheusIII

Non-member
I have a 180 gal. marine tank with a 30 gal. sump... I do 20 gal. water changes a week, is this to much or to little. I fine it uses a lot of salt, (tropic marin pro) this way. My question is..... do I need to do water changes that often or can it be done another way if so please enlighten me on a more efficient way of doing water changes. Thanks everybody... a lesson to be learned signed newbie

im still a newbie my self and from what I understand you have 210 total water volume. I think that if you do a water change every other of that size you might be able to get away with it. However that my require you to slow the syphon by raising the bucket up higher and making sure you get stuff that gets on the bottom and rock....

I have a 180 gal. marine tank with a 30 gal. sump... I do 20 gal. water changes a week, is this to much or to little. I fine it uses a lot of salt, (tropic marin pro) this way. My question is..... do I need to do water changes that often or can it be done another way if so please enlighten me on a more efficient way of doing water changes. Thanks everybody... a lesson to be learned signed newbie

nice. on the site for 2 years and 1 post. impressive. is your 180 a reef tank or fish only. either way you could be using cheaper salt. the frequency of water changes depends on your bioload. if your nitrates start climbing then you need to be doing more waterchanges. if they stay low, you probably don't need to be doing them that often.

Water changes

The last two issues of Tropical Fish Hobbyist had some good articles on water changes. Are you better doing 10 gal a week or 40 gal once a month? etc....

Back