yellow belly hippo tang?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I recently bought a blue hippo tang and notice that its belly is kinda yellow. I already have a totally blue hippo in the other tank and these two look different. Are they the same type of fish or not? Also, this yellow belly hippo tang is hanging around with a pair of large marron clownfish. He sleep with those two together in a big toadstool. The clownfish pair do not seem to mind the tang and the trio alway stay together roaming around the tank. That is kinda odd.

From Melev's site http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter2.html

This is a Yellow Belly HIppo Tang. They look almost the same as a typical Blue / Hippo Tang, except their belly is yellowish. Tangs needs lots of room to swim, and I recommend a tank that is at least 6' long as the minimum. Tangs swim for miles every day foraging for food, and in our small tanks they really are limited. Clipping Nori (dried algae wrap) to the glass daily, it has something to eat until dinner is served that night. Tangs are herbivores, and will pick at the rockwork and may keep the tank algae-free. Reef-safe.

My yellow belly hippo tang has an identity confusion. It thinks it was a clown fish. It actually hosting a giant toadstool with the clown fish. Three of them sleeping together and that is a interesting sight.

I believe it is a difference in region the fish was collected from. I seem to recall Indian Ocean Hippo Tangs had yellow bellies, but I could have the regions mixed up.

I purchased a yellow belly from AG. I believe that the one that I got came from South Africa. It is funny that you say that it hangs around with the clowns b/c when I introduced mine he immediately paired up with my pair of false percs. He thinks that he is part of their group. The female clown will nudge the hippo and he will nip back at her a little bit.

Dong, if it's the hippo tang you got from me, it's not a yellow belly, it's a regular hippo... I think it may have discolored a bit because the sump wasn't lit as strongly as a normal tank (I actually only noticed it was a bit "pale" when I caught him for you, because the sump is opaque and I normally could only see him from the top)... he should regain the color shortly with more strong lighting.

But he does like to host, he was actually hosting the Tunze I had in the sump :)
While I still had corals, he used to host a large monti digitata colony, slept among the branches (as they do in the wild).

As I said before this is the actual Dori from the movie :rolleyes: (according to my son), mental issues and everything... so no wonder it's confused about being a clownfish :D

Anyway, let me know how it does in your tank.

Nuno

The tang is doing great. Eat like a pig...err...clownfish.

Somehow the marron clwonfish pair accept him in the family. He follow the female marron around all day long.

It is very hard to snap a picture for the trio. The female clown fish is closer to the tang than her mate. So, the boyfriend always better than the husband.

Back