Yellow belly blue tang

uhupong

BRS Member
I was told by Boston lfs that i was buying a baby Africa yellow belly blue tang. It was very tiny but the price was not, sold at $65. Many of you probably have some idea where i got it from or had seen a group of them there.

It has been a couple months now since that day and i have yet to see any yellow coloration developed under my blue tang belly.

Anyone know how long does it usually take for so called "yellow belly tang" to start developing those color?

I cant help but I start to think that i bougt a regular blue hippo tang at yellow belly price.

Thanks in advance
Pong

62d93f14-aa60-8423.jpg

Picture is in bad quality, ill try a better shot tomorrow.

I used to have a blue tang with yellow belly (hmmm, doesn't sound so right...) that was a baby (< 1 inch) and grew into ~4 inch before I accidentally killed it. It always had the yellowish belly. But I also heard that yellow belly blue tang will develop yellow belly when it gets older. How long do you have the tang and how sure was the LFS think it is a yellow belly?

He said that he hand picked it from the distributor and that all i know.

not yet as i'm not sure if my fish has reached the mature stage or not (prob not), I do not want to doubt my LFS yet.

I was hoping someone could tell me when do these "yellow belly tang" start to show their trait.

Thx
Pong

Some small Yellow Belly Blue Tangs will not exhibit the yellow belly coloration until they mature, some does, it is too early to draw any conclusion. For $65 in LFS, it is a great price consider they go for the similar price online.

Def great price if it is indeed an african yellow belly tang.

Only time will tell.

I just want to update everyone that my blue tang now show yellow belly coloration, it is a confirmed African Yellow Belly Tang. Unique Aquaria now earn my trust and I will be a royal customer.

Back