I bought a brand new Hanna checker Alkalinity

Seapets

Formerly known as Nelson
It’s giving me a reading of 3.8

still learn how to use this Hannah checker
Can someone tell me what 3.8 stands for

Is it the HI772 dKH checker? Typically people have their tanks around 7 to 10 or sometimes higher.

You might have not performed the test correctly.

There is a video on the 6th photo tab.

Is it the HI772 dKH checker? Typically people have their tanks around 7 to 10 or sometimes higher.

You might have not performed the test correctly.

There is a video on the 6th photo tab.
Thanks for the information

This is not how the test is performed according to Hanna unless you have a different model?
I never used one of these Hanna checker before. Matter fact I never tested my water for like three years . I just do water changes once a week 5 gallons of water out of a 53 gallon LX 200 Red Sea tank. Can I use reef crystals this is how my tank looks like in the pictures. I try only to stay with soft coral because I have a very busy life . The reason why I got the Hanna checker alkalinity was to keep my pH controlled. What is a good pH for soft coral like anemones mushrooms zoanthids?

Attachments

• 1E56B04B-D175-447F-80E9-E47E7EE317A5.jpeg
    1E56B04B-D175-447F-80E9-E47E7EE317A5.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 132
  • CCA33B6D-D2D8-4DE6-A90D-2EB6FCAB9D89.jpeg
    CCA33B6D-D2D8-4DE6-A90D-2EB6FCAB9D89.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 133
This is the one I got

Attachments

• B763EF7F-2522-4BD9-AA82-FB99B3440E5D.jpeg
    B763EF7F-2522-4BD9-AA82-FB99B3440E5D.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 127
I would suggest retrying the test according to the video, fill the vial to the line, run the c1 test, then add 1ml provided reagent, put cap on and invert 4-5 time(mix), wipe it and put it back in and run c2 test.

I would suggest retrying the test according to the video, fill the vial to the line, run the c1 test, then add 1ml provided reagent, put cap on and invert 4-5 time(mix), wipe it and put it back in and run c2 test.
Thank you. I will try that again tomorrow it’s past my bedtime. I work nights. thanks for the information. I will try the instructions. I used tapwater to wash the glass veils i’ll let it dry. If it works I will put it in the reef taik tomorrow thank you all

I never used one of these Hanna checker before. Matter fact I never tested my water for like three years . I just do water changes once a week 5 gallons of water out of a 53 gallon LX 200 Red Sea tank. Can I use reef crystals this is how my tank looks like in the pictures. I try only to stay with soft coral because I have a very busy life . The reason why I got the Hanna checker alkalinity was to keep my pH controlled. What is a good pH for soft coral like anemones mushrooms zoanthids?
My response was to Cheddah93. We both deleted the responses so this is out of context…

It’s good to know your parameters, but if your system has been running without issues, then I wouldn’t make any abrupt changes. Your tank looks good and soft corals are great :)

What are you trying to fix or change if anything? Are you switching the salt brand or mix?

It’s good to know your parameters, but if your system has been running without issues, then I wouldn’t make any abrupt changes. Your tank looks good and soft corals are great :)

What are you trying to fix or change if anything? Are you switching the salt brand or mix?
I’m sticking with the reef crystals I had before it was red sea coral pro it was too expensive to buy every time it runs out of salt so I changed it to reef crystals. I just needed to monitor alkalinity because I haven’t test my water for like three years so I’ve heard it’s important to check at least pH alkalinity

If you don't add anything and only rely on water changes your ALK would be very low.
I totally agree. and that’s why I asked for help. I just wanted to raise up my PH in alkalinity so I can have Coral growth. And that’s why I got the Hana checker alkalinity To check the levels so I can keep up with my pH alkalinity level

I’m only trying to bring my alkalinity up so I can have at least Coral growth because I have an OG bounce that I bought from Marty in Malden it’s been a year now and haven’t grown any bigger it’s the same size I bought it so I’m just trying to see have some Coral Growth

Increased alkalinity will help reduce pH swings and provide a source of carbonate, but that's more of an issue for the calcification of stony corals.

I'm sure that more stable pH would be appreciated by any inhabitant, but I don't think it's a magic bullet for getting a mushroom to grow.

The most likely observable outcome from boosting alk in a softy tank is increased coralline algae growth.

I've never kept a bounce mushroom, but I see a big change in Ricordea growth rate when I target feed them. Have you tried that?

Thank you. I will try that again tomorrow it’s past my bedtime. I work nights. thanks for the information. I will try the instructions. I used tapwater to wash the glass veils i’ll let it dry. If it works I will put it in the reef taik tomorrow thank you all
If you wash the cuvette with tap water, you might want to rinse a couple times with tank water just before you take a sample to test.

Exactly that’s why I asked for help what’s a good brand of chemical to bring alkalinity up
Regular baking soda. Any product you purchase for Alk is most likely expensive baking soda.

I follow these instructions using baking soda from the grocery store but I buy calcium chloride from BRS because I don’t trust the driveway heat to be pure

If you wash the cuvette with tap water, you might want to rinse a couple times with tank water just before you take a sample to test.
Thanks for the tip I’ll definitely do that. Yes I’ve rinsed it with tapwater but it’s completely dry now because I tried it was Yesterday morning

Back