Follow up to Sanjay's talk

tubsy3

Non-member
ok now that I have been home and had time to let all the info from todays talk settle into my brain I had some questions that maybe some of you understood better than me.

Right now I have iwasaki 175w SE 15k bulbs X2 on my 46 bowfront tank. According to sanjay's site, these lamps are putting out ~71ppfd. He said that you should have 90+ for sps. Does his site give the ppfd right outisde the bulb, at the surface of the water(and at what height), Or at the bottom of the tank?

Does this mean my lighting is inadequate for my tank? It doesnt sound right to me so I am sure that I am missing part of this puzzle and hopefully someone else understood it a bit better than me.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

BTW it was my first meeting and I enjoyed meeting lots of you. Nice to put the faces to the screen names haha. Also got my brs member card finally :) whoooo!

I may be totally confused on this one, but I think the #90 was referring to a different measurement other than PAR??

if i heard him correct what he said was that all his test were done from 18" but about sps on the bottom which was something i was listening close to he said that as long as you have at least 100 par on the bottom you can do sps on the bottom i have gone to his site as well to check my bulbs (which aren't listed) and was kinda confussed becuase alot of the graphs he showed us at the meet were not on the site like the one that had all the bulbs on one chart and showed all there par values verses wattage (how a 400watt bulb could be worse then a 250watt and had them all listed by name) this was something i was interested in but it wasn't there but he did say some of the graphs weren't on the site but he was going to try to get some of them on there but never said when i do hope he updates it soon though

if i heard him correct what he said was that all his test were done from 18" but about sps on the bottom which was something i was listening close to he said that as long as you have at least 100 par on the bottom you can do sps on the bottom i have gone to his site as well to check my bulbs (which aren't listed) and was kinda confussed becuase alot of the graphs he showed us at the meet were not on the site like the one that had all the bulbs on one chart and showed all there par values verses wattage (how a 400watt bulb could be worse then a 250watt and had them all listed by name) this was something i was interested in but it wasn't there but he did say some of the graphs weren't on the site but he was going to try to get some of them on there but never said when i do hope he updates it soon though

He did say he measured them from different distances as well. Just make sure you check your bulb with the correct ballast on his site because it makes such a big difference.

His talk actually got me thinking of ditching my 20K's. The problem is I like a bluish bulb and I have a PFO Fixture that is SE. For SE the only 14K I found was Hamilton which has terrible reviews from what I have heard. I am getting great growth, however I have some SPS lower in the tank and their colors are not what I would like them to be..

So if the distance is 18" is the PAR/PPFD listed the reading at the bottom or at the surface lol? Damn I wish I thought about this before I left...

I too am interested in that graph that listed all the different watt bulbs and their par. I cant find it anywhere.

to get 100 PAR at the bottom, it highly depend on how tall the tank is.

Water coloration will affect PAR value dramatically. I think the measurement he did doesn't invole any water.

The data on his web site is meant for bulb/ballast comparison only, the actual absolute PAR value has little meaning.

Regarding the 100PAR for SPS, I think he just pull a number out of thin air. I have not yet found any scientific evident to back that "100 PAR" theory.

He did say he measured them from different distances as well. Just make sure you check your bulb with the correct ballast on his site because it makes such a big difference.

His talk actually got me thinking of ditching my 20K's. The problem is I like a bluish bulb and I have a PFO Fixture that is SE. For SE the only 14K I found was Hamilton which has terrible reviews from what I have heard. I am getting great growth, however I have some SPS lower in the tank and their colors are not what I would like them to be..

you are right, 20K is so pathetic compare to 10K in terms of PAR.

No, unless you have a tank that is 24 inch front to back.

Not sure if anyone else was interested but Sanjay clarified some stuff so I thoguht I would share the info. It helped me so hopefully it will also clear up for others.

"I was talking about tanks that are 24" tall, and said that you would
have enough light to grow anything if you measure around 90-100 PPFD
at the bottom of the tank. I also said that you will get this at the
bottom of a 24" tank if you have lamps that measure at 80+ in my
tests, using a good reflector.

If your tank is shorter 175W lamps will be fine. I know from
personal experience the Iwasaki 175W lamp 15K is a great lamp, and
will be fine for a 75G tank or less."

>No, unless you have a tank that is 24 inch front to back<

I think there is a smaller luminarc that works for mogul bulbs that is now available.

I am getting a 120 4x2x2 does that mean i should get the huge lumenarc? I am still deciding between hqi and moguls. Leaning towards hqi so I can try the phoenix 14ks. WHat do you guys think?

Who has good prices on these reflectors?

Does someone have a link to Sanjay's site? I found it somewhere and now have no clue where it is.... and I forgot to bookmark :(

I am getting a 120 4x2x2 does that mean i should get the huge lumenarc? I am still deciding between hqi and moguls. Leaning towards hqi so I can try the phoenix 14ks. WHat do you guys think?

Who has good prices on these reflectors?

Set up a group buy :)

The hqi's get less coverage.. one lumenarc 3 mogul base will give you 36" of coverage so you could potentially get 1 250W mogul to light the entire tank with the bigger lumenarc.

With the smaller DE models you would probably need two as they probably don't cover all that much more than 2'... so probably 2x150 or 2x250 DE.

According to Daniel at luminarc the mini is ideal for 2x2 coverage, so 2 would be perfect for a 120 (or at least they better be as mine are in the mail :) ).

The link I posted earlier is for the mfg, I don't know if you can find a discounted price elsewhere?

Back