Heater w/tank controller question

nitr8

Non-member
When using a monitor/controller on the tank to regulate temperature is a controller for a titanium tube heater needed or beneficial? Will someone please suggest a reliable brand for a 300-500w heater. Thank you.

I just bought a Finnex 300 watt. titanium digital control unit.It's been spot on for a week now.

I use a Ranco controller with heaters. Set it and forget it technology. Simple solution with a high payback. Lots of reefers use more sophisticated controllers but, for simple heater/chiller control you cant go wrong.

I have used a few types of titanium tube heaters including the Finnex and ALL of them have had the controller go bad over time. I do use a controller to run my heaters so if a heater gets stuck on it isn't a problem as the controller will shut them off. I prefer to have the redundancy.

I use a Ranco controller with heaters. Set it and forget it technology. Simple solution with a high payback. Lots of reefers use more sophisticated controllers but, for simple heater/chiller control you cant go wrong.

This is what I use also, very simple

I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for. I already have a Profilux controller for my tank. My question is: Should I still have the controller that comes with the heater inline or just take the tube right to the 6 outlet digitial powerbar (PAB)? It seems Finnex is a reliable brand. Any others?

I would just go with a Finnex titanium tube without the thermostat if you are looking to buy.

I would just go with a Finnex titanium tube without the thermostat if you are looking to buy.

That's what I do. My Finnex heaters are plugged directly into my Apex controller. I was able to purchase my heaters without the standard Finnex temperature controller.

Would there be any benefits to having the redundancy of using the thermostat as well?

That is what I have usually done in the past although probably won't in the future as the thermostats seem to always fail. I very rarely if ever hear of controllers failing. One other advantage if you go with a titanium heating element with a built in thermostat in addition to the redundancy with the controller, is you can take that heater and use in an isolated system if needed.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back