Heater w/tank controller question

nitr8

Non-member
When using a monitor/controller on the tank to regulate temperature is a controller for a titanium tube heater needed or beneficial? Will someone please suggest a reliable brand for a 300-500w heater. Thank you.

I just bought a Finnex 300 watt. titanium digital control unit.It's been spot on for a week now.

I use a Ranco controller with heaters. Set it and forget it technology. Simple solution with a high payback. Lots of reefers use more sophisticated controllers but, for simple heater/chiller control you cant go wrong.

I have used a few types of titanium tube heaters including the Finnex and ALL of them have had the controller go bad over time. I do use a controller to run my heaters so if a heater gets stuck on it isn't a problem as the controller will shut them off. I prefer to have the redundancy.

I use a Ranco controller with heaters. Set it and forget it technology. Simple solution with a high payback. Lots of reefers use more sophisticated controllers but, for simple heater/chiller control you cant go wrong.

This is what I use also, very simple

I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for. I already have a Profilux controller for my tank. My question is: Should I still have the controller that comes with the heater inline or just take the tube right to the 6 outlet digitial powerbar (PAB)? It seems Finnex is a reliable brand. Any others?

I would just go with a Finnex titanium tube without the thermostat if you are looking to buy.

I would just go with a Finnex titanium tube without the thermostat if you are looking to buy.

That's what I do. My Finnex heaters are plugged directly into my Apex controller. I was able to purchase my heaters without the standard Finnex temperature controller.

Would there be any benefits to having the redundancy of using the thermostat as well?

That is what I have usually done in the past although probably won't in the future as the thermostats seem to always fail. I very rarely if ever hear of controllers failing. One other advantage if you go with a titanium heating element with a built in thermostat in addition to the redundancy with the controller, is you can take that heater and use in an isolated system if needed.

Back