Search results

1. GobyWanKenobie

Moving Day!

They look a little like bees. Is it just in your blood. LOL
  2. GobyWanKenobie

No Splash Bleach?

Apparently, this stuff has been around for a while, and I just unknowingly bought it by accident, but I'm leaving the post up anyway. I wanted to bleach my filter socks, and when I poured in the bleach, it bubbled like it had soap in it. I did a little research and found out that Clorox NO...
  3. GobyWanKenobie

Auctions Anyone?

I've wanted to give it a try, but I get hung up on the shipping. I don't want to pay a crazy shipping price if I only win one bid, and I don't want to keep bidding just to make the shipping worth it. Many times, I can't even figure out what the shipping is because they don't post any details...
  4. GobyWanKenobie

Ques. (Question of the Day?) Cycling a new tank, what was your process?

It's been a long time since I cycled a tank, but I'm pretty sure I started with a raw shrimp.
  5. GobyWanKenobie

Ques. (Question of the Day?) clean up crew acclimation and quarantine.

This is how I've always done it too, however, after getting montipora eating nudibrachs, I'm thinking I should start qt'ng the CUC as well. I haven't added anything since the beginning of December except for snails and a feather duster. :(
  6. GobyWanKenobie

Ques. (Question of the Day) Do you Quarantine your fish? why or why not

I always quarantine new fish. My fish are old, and I can't take the risk of infecting them. My qt tank is a 30 gallon JBJ.
  7. GobyWanKenobie

Ques. (Question of the Day) Coral Dips

I'm currently battling montipora eating nudis. I always dip incoming corals in Bayer, and I usually qt new corals unless I'm confident in the vendor. I have no idea where they came from, but I'm guessing eggs came in from somewhere. I'm currently dipping everything in Revive, but I have no...
  8. GobyWanKenobie

Ques. (Question of the day) RO/DI water. what do use? How often do you make it and how do you store it?

My rodi is 75 gpd with a 1:4 ratio. I don't know the brand, but it is 5 stage and located in the basement. I run it for an hour or two every night. The water is stored in 2-5 gallon water jugs, and the waste goes outside to water the garden and the lawn. Since I have 4 separate all-in-one...
  9. GobyWanKenobie

Red Sea ABCD elements

Bulk Reef Supply suggested I contact both Red Sea and ESV to figure out the concentrations in both products. It's more work than I need in my life right now. I'm hoping I can just return the box, but I haven't heard back yet. In the past, I always used Julian Sprung's reef elements. I...
  10. GobyWanKenobie

Red Sea ABCD elements

Thanks.
  11. GobyWanKenobie

Red Sea ABCD elements

Thanks for the reply. The dosage chart says 1 ml for every 10 ml of Red Sea calcium that is dosed. My problem is that 10 ml of Red Sea is not the same as 10 ml of ESV part B. Bulk Reef Supply has a calcium converter, but it doesn't have Red Sea calcium on it. I think ESV is more potent, but...
  12. GobyWanKenobie

Red Sea ABCD elements

I did something dumb and bought the Red Sea ABCD elements because it said it was based on calcium usage. I was expecting it to be based on a range of 400 to 500 ppm, not on the dosage amount of Red Sea calcium. I don't use Red Sea calcium. I use ESV A and B. Is there a way for me to still...
  13. GobyWanKenobie

RODI cartridges

Thanks for the replies. I usually buy my cartridges from BRS and my membrane off of Amazon, but I was thinking of doing it all from one place this time.
  14. GobyWanKenobie

RODI cartridges

Are all the rodi carbon filter cartridges the same? Does it have to be an aquarium store or can I order the home water filter cartridges from Amazon?
  15. GobyWanKenobie

Free Cherry shrimp and oto

Yeah, I know they are freshwater, but I have a tank with a betta and guppies. Unfortunately, I just read the betta might eat them.
  16. GobyWanKenobie

Free Cherry shrimp and oto

Pm'd. What are oto?
  17. GobyWanKenobie

Hanna Alk checker question

I noticed the last two or three tests in the bottle were lower too. I never thought about refrigeration. Thanks for the idea. I'm striving for consistency. As long as the tank isn't dying, I just aim for the same number, usually 155-160.
  18. GobyWanKenobie

Auto Top Off Recommendation Needed

Right now, I'm looking at the Reefbreeders EXO. His FOWLR tank is in the basement, and he doesn't need anything fancy. Hoping I can go to Wakefield and pick one up before Christmas since I kind of missed all the shipping deadlines. :(
  19. GobyWanKenobie

Auto Top Off Recommendation Needed

What's the best auto top off to buy for someone who is using a 5 gallon bucket that they fill manually? He does not want to tap into his water pipe, but he does not want to pour water into his tank everyday.
  20. GobyWanKenobie

Ann. Big Announcement: 2023 Coral College - December 9th!

It was great! There were a lot of good vendors, and the marine science schools were very excited to sell their frags. The raffles were good too. It seems everyone who stayed until the end won something. Thanks BiggiePauls33 and everyone who helped for putting this together!
Back