1.5 gallon hexagon pico softy tank

jenreef

Non-member
when josh was working a customer gave him this hexagon tank for free. as soon as he brought it home. we knew we wanted this tank to be a softy tank with led
here is some tank info:
tank: 1.5 gallon hexagon tank
flow: mini air pump connected to airline tubing
lighting: right now i have 4 actnics led. but i am planning to replace the 4 actnics to 2 12k and 2 actinics. so i will have white and blue
filtration: 2 pounds of live rock, shallow sand bed and cheato
live stock:
1 yellow clown goby
1 sexy shrimp
1 astrea snail
1 blue legged crab
1 nassarius snail

p.s
the deorant next to the tank is to give you a idea how small the tank is

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,136
i forgot to mention this tank was set-up completely for free. i received the tank and the air pump for free. live rock, sand and inverts came from my 120 gallon tank. the lighting i already had laying around in my house. so i am kinda happy i set-up a reef tank without spending a penny. also the corals are coming from my 120 gallon tank

@Jen Cool start, Not personally a fan Of hex tanks but a huge fan of budget tanks :) Nothing like deciding on a mini reef and already having all the parts to do it.

@Jen Cool start, Not personally a fan Of hex tanks but a huge fan of budget tanks :) Nothing like deciding on a mini reef and already having all the parts to do it.

im not a fan of hex tanks either. but hey it was for free. i seen you ordered a 4 gallon pico tank. would love to see the tank set-up

im not a fan of hex tanks either. but hey it was for free. i seen you ordered a 4 gallon pico tank. would love to see the tank set-up

Yep thanks the shipping wait is terrible. Paid for it on the 9th wont get it til the 18th. Should be cool, the increase in space means Ill probably end up with a Yellow Clown Goby or maybe something a little more uncommon. I wonder if the included HOB is large enough to grow cheato in....

Yep thanks the shipping wait is terrible. Paid for it on the 9th wont get it til the 18th. Should be cool, the increase in space means Ill probably end up with a Yellow Clown Goby or maybe something a little more uncommon. I wonder if the included HOB is large enough to grow cheato in....

in my case i have a air pump connected to a air stone for water movement. but i think i am going to buy the hydor evo pico pump that does 70gph. since i think the air stone is not putting enough flow in the tank to keep corals or macro algae. in your case i think a hob filter would be enough to keep chaeto or corals. from experience be careful, chaeto could get caught in the hob filter. you would have to do some kind of mod to your hob filter

i don't know if you know but clown gobys pick at sps corals. i been wanting a clown goby for a very long time. but i have sps corals in my 120 gallon tank so i could not put it in that tank. but now that i have a pico softy tank, i can get the clown goby i have always wanted. imo a yasha goby with a pistol shrimp will be nice too in a pico tank

Yea I wont be getting sps corals at all in all likelihood. If you would like a cube tank on the cheap this is what my old 1.5 is

tetra-water-wonders-cube-aquarium-kit-1.5-galon-black.jpg

Tetra Water Wonders 1.5g Cube kit comes with internal filter and led lamp, both not suitable for reef but the tank itselfs not too shabby and only $15 at walmart

Yea I wont be getting sps corals at all in all likelihood. If you would like a cube tank on the cheap this is what my old 1.5 is

tetra-water-wonders-cube-aquarium-kit-1.5-galon-black.jpg

Tetra Water Wonders 1.5g Cube kit comes with internal filter and led lamp, both not suitable for reef but the tank itselfs not too shabby and only $15 at walmart
vey nice tank. and cheap too. thanks for the info

Back