10k XM bulb turned yellow

jackie

Non-member
I just bought the bulb about a month ago and it turned a yellow/green color. It looks awful! I did notice though that the end of the bulb near the base doesn't have a black band like the other one, and looks like there's some type of some smoke there. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had one of my 400W 10K XM bulbs do that but it went away after a bit. I am guessing when the bulb warmed up?

When it goes on it's yellow and doesn't change. And the 'smoke' I think is phosphorous that could be leaking? I read something (but can't remember where) that there were a batch of bad ones that were made that turned yellow like that. I know there's a breaking period so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens, thanks!

Mark T. can probably replace this bulb for you. There was a bad batch of 250 Watters, but my understanding is that the XM folks will replace any bulb for free.

I had the exact same problem on 3 out 4 250XM 10ks I tried :( I still have one working now for the past 4 months but I got tired of trying to get a good 2nd bulb for the other side. So I now running a Hamilton 14k on that side. Not as much PAR as XM but I like a little bit more bluer look and corals look just as good.
Oh and I run Icecap 250w MH ballast (newer model).

Thanks, I'll check with Mark to see if I can exchange it. I replaced it with another 10k I had lying around, it has a bluer look but better than ugly yellow-green, yech. The rics look better under the bluer light, they seem to fluoresce more. What a pain, those bulbs aren't cheap!

Back