12 gallon FOWLR tank?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I got a nice looking Marinlan Eclipse tank. Can I use it as FOWLR with the stock 15 w bulb? May be some LR and a clown fish? Is it doable? I don't want to mess up the nice looking aquarium by retro fit a PC light in it. It might not be safe to do so either.

Any suggestion? Thanks

Honestly, I wouldnt put a clownfish in a 12g. just my opinion. there's tons of smaller fish you could put in that small of a tank. ie...clown-goby(awesome), eviota goby, or even a firefish.

Thanks for the suggestion. A clown goby is what I like a lot. May be live rock will be fine under the normal output light? May be I can shine a PC light BEHIND the tank?

I also ahve the 12 gallon eclipse I had used it for my nano zoo tank and goby/pistol pair.. I had used the original light for a while without a problem but then retroed the lights..when I get a chance I will take a look in the cellar for the retro ( I am now back to the original and it is chuck full of LR and other things from the fuge )I am prettty sure it was a 32 pc unit but not possitive and with that you can also do some softies in the tank :)

i got the 12 gallon eclipse, 2 ocellaris clowns, rose anenome,a coral banded shrimp, and various cleaners... the stock light is allright for the fish, and there are a few retro fit kits with 2 or 3 lights, thats good for low light corals. mines been up 6 months. Another thing i see people do is replace the "eclipse" filter pack with bio balls, ceramic things, or macro algea..... if you don't have a protien skimmer you'll want to do regular water changes, i "skim" the top of the water and take out about 3 inches from the top worth of water every week.

word

amixam98 said:
Are clams ok for nano?
They require pretty intense lighting. I'd only go with metal halide over a clam. I've heard of people using VHO, but I would want more intensity.

HepDog said:
as long as you have a light, clams can live in a dixe cup!
That is very funny.

According to what I read, here is my understanding and what I am going to do, please correct me if I was wrong:

with the stock light (15 watt, NO)
1. I can keep live rock and some small fish like goby. So I am going to put 20 lbs of live rock without coral on them in the tank and 2 inch of live sand and some marco alge

2. Replace the filter pad with Chemi-pure.

3. Put my yellow tail blue damsel and a clown goby in it.

4. Change 10% water every week.

5. Use a colorful plastic backgroud to make it look nice.

The clown is fine as long as you move him to a bigger tank when he grows up. I have a 16g bowfront and the (australian gold/maroon?) clown is always in his anemone.

Thanks.

Can I keep a BTA under NO light but feed the hack out of it?

dz6t said:
Thanks.

Can I keep a BTA under NO light but feed the hack out of it?
I would not recommend that.
There are a couple of species that'll do okay under NO lights, but the bubble tip ain't one of 'em. They need more intense lighting.

I have two brown BTAs near the top of my 55 with 160 Watts of NO light and they are a little thin (but one has gotten big) but they've been in there for a few years now. I wouldn't recommend it either.

Back