14K MH, Ushio vs pheonix

Aww, what you mean "coil thingy" and "mini unpainted coke can looking thing-a-majubie" aren't correct terms? :(

Is anybody in the club running Ushio 14ks on an electronic ballast?

I need to replace my Phoenix bulbs as my colors are washing out. I was a Phoenix fan in the beginning, but now feel they are too blue.

Yup, I'm looking at sanjays info on manhatten reefs.

I don't know. Here's the numbers I got when I tested my ushio 14k lamps on M80 vs lumatek electronic. (maybe not all electronic ballasts are created equal)
"
Originally Posted by jimmyj7090
As requested;

With electronic/digital ballasts;
275W 270W, 2.62 amp

depth
at surface - 710 765
3" 480 560
6" 420 460
9" 360 420

With M80 magnetic ballasts;
290 W 4.81a 300 W, 3.94amp

depth
at surface - 550 615
3" 410 470
6" 340 370
9" 280 315
"

John is....:cool:

Take a look at these numbers;

(just be warned that the ushio is WAY less blue than the pheonix)

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76471&page=3

I used to run Ushio 10ks on my display before I switched to Phoenix and electronic ballasts. I am hoping I can find a middle ground with Ushio 14ks, but am nervous about the electronic ballasts with the Ushio bulbs. I see a few reports of Ushio 14ks going yellow with electronic ballasts.

I run an Ushio 10k on my frag tank and am happy with coral colors. When I bring them into the display tank they dull, especially blue/green corals. I have VHO lighting to supplement the loss of blue.

grrr. can't find if I have M80 ballasts. I have DE bulbs though so if what John says is correct, then I have M80 Ballasts. I think I am gonna try the Ushio 14K's. I don't think they will look too blue with my actinics from what I have read. (I hope)

I used to run Ushio 10ks on my display before I switched to Phoenix and electronic ballasts. I am hoping I can find a middle ground with Ushio 14ks, but am nervous about the electronic ballasts with the Ushio bulbs. I see a few reports of Ushio 14ks going yellow with electronic ballasts.

I run an Ushio 10k on my frag tank and am happy with coral colors. When I bring them into the display tank they dull, especially blue/green corals. I have VHO lighting to supplement the loss of blue.

I'm running 3 Ushio 14ks, 2 on electronic ballasts and one on a magnetic ballast side by side. The out put is obvious to the naked eye that the electronic ballast is higher and is still a crisp white imo.

I'm running 3 Ushio 14ks, 2 on electronic ballasts and one on a magnetic ballast side by side. The out put is obvious to the naked eye that the electronic ballast is higher and is still a crisp white imo.

...which was what John said, and what the PAR meter proved out, and why I bought my lumatechs....

If you want to compare phoenix 14k and ushio 14k on Sanjays site, just substitute the megachrome or a BLV for the ushio in the comparison. Like Jeremy says, they are the same bulb.
I just went through the whole "what bulb should I get' ordeal and decided to return to a 10k bulb after using the 14k Ushios for the past year. Don't get me wrong, I liked the bulb just fine and they looked great. However the tank does better with a 10k bulb. This is especially true for my anemone. I had used the 10K AB before, and the XM. I went out on a limb and decided to try the EVC 10k. I could find no one with any experience with these bulbs and was hesitant to buy them at first. After a month of use I can say they are the brightest bulbs I have ever used. I suspect they are chinese made like the XM, so I can't yet vouch for their quality. So far I am very pleased. Although a crisp white light, I think you need some supplemental blue to make them as visually appealing as some of the higher kelvin bulbs. Now I just hope they hold their spectrum and last a good year.

as an FYI, there will be 250w 14k DE Ushio bulbs in the conference raffle, for those who can hang on until October to change their bulbs..... :D

Thanks. I am going to get some 14k Ushios. BTW what kind of ballasts do you use?

Well, I just put Phoenix 14K's on my tank and it is JUST the right blue color. I'll get the growth that I get, but I just want the good color! Love it! I'd post pictures, but we all know that pictures don't do it any justice.

Edit. I also got them brand new for $49, so I couldn't pass that up... I love them

Well, I just put Phoenix 14K's on my tank and it is JUST the right blue color. I'll get the growth that I get, but I just want the good color! Love it! I'd post pictures, but we all know that pictures don't do it any justice.

Edit. I also got them brand new for $49, so I couldn't pass that up... I love them

do you run actinics?

just got two ushios, 10 K , 250 W from that pet place, with the coupon it was 55 each plus shipping

Back