155g bow SPS led build

kevinpratt823

Non-member
BRS 933.jpgJust wanted to post a few pics of my project. I started with the layout on some pegboard the other day, then built the driver board/wiring harness last night. I'm waiting for the heat sinks to show up, maybe Tues, so depending on my work schedule, I should be lit by the weekend. The setup is approx 240 3w cree led's, 2:1 blue/white ratio, with 4 reds. 4 seperate heat sinks, (2) 26" each across the back(between corner overflows), and (2) 33" each across the front. (12) Mean Well 60-48D dimmable drivers(cortrolled from my Apex) with 3 seperate controls, as I wanted the reds to be controlled seperately, they are on with a secondary string of blues.............
The tank pic is just with a few supplemental led's I put in as a trial.
BRS 937.jpgBRS 936.jpgBRS 932.jpgBRS 930.jpg

Last edited:
You have some money tied up in that fixture! Are you going to be running optics on the LEDs?
I prefer to think of it as "invested" rather than tied up. At least that's how I justified it! I will be running 80 degree optics, with a few 70's strategically placed.

BRS 958.jpgBRS 955.jpgBRS 959.jpgBRS 957.jpgBRS 956.jpg
Finished!
I got my heat sinks yesterday, built the 4 fixtures and set them up between last night and today. I only pulled the trigger and ordered this stuff a week ago, but once I get started................
I need to spend some time with adjustment etc, so I'll put up some better pics when I have time. Unfortunately, I didn't stop to take many pics throughout the build, I just wanted to get it done.

WOW that is so cool! i was trolling here to get some ideas/info for my next tank lighting idea and i think i found it....can i ask where did you get the heat sink from? i am wanting to light a 75 long that measures 72"x18"x13" tall , i did a DIY led on my last nanocube and loved the color and dimmable feature. good job on keeping all the wires neat. jay

wow kefv that was quick, and those reds really rock...........and the canopy looks nice and clean.........so how much cooler is the tank running?? or is it running cooler at all with the basement halides

It's only been running a couple hours, so time will tell with the changes........
Everything came from Reef Led Lights, but he drop ships the heat sinks from Heatsinkusa.com

I would be very curious how you made out in the end. For Example all the materials, #LED, Wiring, heatsinks, fans, controls etc.

I am looking to do something very similar to a 6' long tank hopefully in the near future.

I would also be curious in your end results in regards to power consumption and growth.

Good Luck! Looks good so far.

Is there a reason you went with all those MeanWells? You could have gotten the HLG series and wired multiple strings in series depending on which HLG you were using (140 or 240). I have been contemplating replacing my Radiums with LEDs before the next time I need to change bulbs and I was looking at the HLG seeing I would be looking at around 100-120 LEDS and don't want a bunch of drivers.

Is there a reason you went with all those MeanWells? You could have gotten the HLG series and wired multiple strings in series depending on which HLG you were using (140 or 240). I have been contemplating replacing my Radiums with LEDs before the next time I need to change bulbs and I was looking at the HLG seeing I would be looking at around 100-120 LEDS and don't want a bunch of drivers.
The only Meanwell thus far that is dimmable with a 0-10v DC signal, which is what my Apex puts out, is the 60-48D, which will do a max of (2) strings of (12) each, otherwise you are taking the driver apart to make adjustments. I have 4 seperate outputs that I can control from the Apex or my laptop: the whites in the 72 bow, the whites in the 155, the blues in the 72 bow, along with the supplementary string that includes the reds in the 155, and the blues in the 155. I can sit in my chair and adjust the spectrum and make all kinds of adjustments/changes at the palm of my hand, which gives me almost unlimited flexability with what I can do. Also, these drivers, along with the Apex, allow my lights to ramp up/down gradually, over whatever time frames I chose, to/from whatever intensity I chose, rather than just turning them on/off.

The only Meanwell thus far that is dimmable with a 0-10v DC signal, which is what my Apex puts out, is the 60-48D

All of the HLG series (except the 240H) have a built in 3 in 1 dimming function 1-10vDC, PWM and resistance. I have ReefKeeper and I am looking at the same function as you are.

HLG-120 specs

I am not trying to tear apart your build, I love it. Are you going to do anything for a splash guard? Also how high up are you running?

Last edited:
Looks awesome kev polyp extension is insane in that picture. How much total did ya put into that build? Pm me if u don't want to post it. I gotta come check out the new setup sometime.

Ditto. Curious roughly what the project ran for (PM is fine). I have a 72" 125 build in progress that I have yet to invest in a 'final' lighting system for. Those LED's look AMAZING and the ability to use the dimmer through my Apex would be the icing on the cake! I don't mind shoving my 48" fixture on the tank as a temporary while I start a 'fund' and work on the 'political' side of things to convince the wife for yet another project :)

All of the HLG series (except the 240H) have a built in 3 in 1 dimming function 1-10vDC, PWM and resistance. I have ReefKeeper and I am looking at the same function as you are.

HLG-120 specs

I am not trying to tear apart your build, I love it. Are you going to do anything for a splash guard? Also how high up are you running?
I had not seen these. I was under the impression that the 60-48D was the only one. These do say "NEW" on the site, maybe just coming out? It is def worth looking into. On the upside to my setup, if something fails I only lose a small portion of light.

What does the RK have for dimming control capabilities?

Currently in the 155, I am about 10" off the water, at midday right now, blues are at 80%, whites at 60%, no splash gaurd as of yet, but I did use the LED Seal, which sprays on a silicone like film to waterproof everything.
You can go to Reefledlights.com and figure all your prices out. If you call Bill, he can give you a quote, and please tell him I referred you, as I still have tanks to light and will be dealing with him again.
Everybody wants to know the cost, and I don't feel like sending out a bunch more PM's, so:
Including supplies from Home Depot/You Do it Electronics it is in the $2500 neighborhood.

Last edited:
Back