20 gallon high frag tank questions

jeremy052274

Non-member
Hi, I have a couple of questions about my new frag tank. It is a 20 high with a 4 bulb T5 (2 actinic and 2 10k) and I've built a 3-layer egg crate shelving thing. Three pumps of misc. powers at this point. Done cycling and has about 10 lbs. of live rock with 2 HOB filters.

1. Do I have to have a glass lid? I was planning no, but the manual for the lights says 'must be covered' rather clearly (it's one of those standard coraline ones) and there's a plastic thing protecting the bulbs....is this just a manufacturer protecting itself or should I have one?

2. If I should have one, any recommendations? Call a glass shop? I don't see much online.

3. How about a fish? Should I add some life? Any thoughts on a good frag tank fish? I intend to keep my options open regarding types of corals. Is it better not to add a fish? I admit, some life would be sweet to see at least....but can live without.

Thanks for any help!

Oh, one more question now that I think of it.

In my main tank, I have a yellow watchman and a tiger pistol shrimp - love them, they are bff's and so fun to watch. I can hear the shrimp doing its clicking and stuff in the evenings...I've started to wonder if it is murdering snails maybe, as I have read they deal quite a blow. Does anyone know if they use it to kill or not? Or just defense? I don't really care, my snails are running the tank, but was curious.

If your running it as a frag tank why not loose the atinics and put something in that's going to help corals grow and look good like a ati blue plus bulb? This will help things grow faster.

Good frag fish is a algae blenny.

If your running it as a frag tank why not loose the atinics and put something in that's going to help corals grow and look good like a ati blue plus bulb? This will help things grow faster.

Good frag fish is a algae blenny.

Oh ok, is actinic just for looks? My other tank has halide so I'm learning now...thanks for the advice - will do. And I was looking at blennys, so that sounds like a good plan.

what ever you do do NOT use a glass lid lol. this will trap CO2 in the air layer between the lid and the water. with no diffusion of oxygen into the water you can get all sorts of crazy problems, glass lids kill tanks. the plastic thing on the lights is the right thing probably to prevent splash up and to prevent humidity from reaching any LEDs (moon LEDs). and +1 on algae blenny plus theyre pretty

oh ok, so this has the 4 bulbs and also 2 moonlight LEDs - do you figure the 'put a lid on it' thing is more for the LED's?

yes but the plastic thing on the underside of the light fixture is for that. you should leave it where it is and every so often clean the encrusted salt off

Back