20 Gallon Long Frag Tank Build

How's the learning cure on SolidWorks, AutoCad it foreign to me now, last version I had was like 10 years ago.

Great project.

One suggestion though, the overflow box that you haven't built yet, don't bother. Since you won't be running a skimmer, the only advantage to surface skimming will be to keep that slime layer from forming on the surface of the water, (and that can be dealt with with a little surface agitation).

The down side would be that unless the water level in the overflow box was kept even with the surface in the rest of the tank, you'd get water running down into the box creating bubbles which would get sucked right into the CL pump and then mashed into very annoying micro bubbles shooting out all over the place. The box would also take up a lot of space for little benifit.

(or did you already drop the overflow box idea but I missed it? ;) )

Great project.

One suggestion though, the overflow box that you haven't built yet, don't bother. Since you won't be running a skimmer, the only advantage to surface skimming will be to keep that slime layer from forming on the surface of the water, (and that can be dealt with with a little surface agitation).

The down side would be that unless the water level in the overflow box was kept even with the surface in the rest of the tank, you'd get water running down into the box creating bubbles which would get sucked right into the CL pump and then mashed into very annoying micro bubbles shooting out all over the place. The box would also take up a lot of space for little benifit.

(or did you already drop the overflow box idea but I missed it? ;) )

It was going to serve as a few purposes, I was going to use it for surface agitation, another was to hide the ugly strainers and piping, and I was going to put LR rubble in there, cheato and the heater. I wanted to hide as much equipment as I possibly could. Also I might plumb a skimmer into the system at some point so I would rather already have the overflow box in the tank.

Last edited:
How's the learning cure on SolidWorks, AutoCad it foreign to me now, last version I had was like 10 years ago.

Basic modeling isn't to bad you can catch on pretty easy but it can get a little tricky when it comes to surfaces and complex assemblies.

Basic modeling isn't to bad you can catch on pretty easy but it can get a little tricky when it comes to surfaces and complex assemblies.

It takes a while,but I learned SDRC and Solid Works is much more user friendly.
Been working on it since 2001 here.:)

Finally had a chance to finish up the plumbing mock ups, I plan to get everything permanently cemented and in place for a water leak test this weekend.

100_2623.jpg

that looks like you are gonna be sucking some air into the pump

Why would you say that? It is an external/internal pump, it can be used both inside and outside of the aquarium. The inlets and outlets are both 1/2'' male threaded which are plumbed directly into my pvc piping.

I leaked tested the tank over the weekend with no leak or complications. I did not suck in any air. I guess you might of said that because the top is ribbed, which is just a design, it is not where the water enters the pump.

Nice clean looking DIY, Keep the pics coming, making me want to re-do my frag tank!!

I just ordered the acrylic to make the overflow, along with some support structures for the top of the tank so I can use a 24" MH pendant.

Overflow Box

I haven't had as much time as I wanted for this build, I thought by now I would have the tank up and running but still going to be another month before I get it operational due to time and funds.

I had a chance to build the overflow box over the weekend:
100_2631.jpg

100_2630.jpg

Looks nice. Did you use that epoxy on the overflow box?

Looks nice. Did you use that epoxy on the overflow box?

I was going to but wasn't sure if it was going to be safe or not so I ended up just using silicone.

I laid out a bead of silicone where the box contacted each other just to get it to stay in place then once it was drive I went ahead and put another bead on the inside and outside corners. All i need to do now is to take a razor blade to some areas to clean up some excess.

Back