20L Frag Tank: Advice Needed

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So I have an extra 20G long hanging around and my frag rack is starting to get a little crowded and some of my corals need a good trimming, so I was thinking about making into a frag tank. Housing everything including SPS, LPS, Softies and zoos. I want to make this tank as energy efficient as possible.

I have a few questions regarding on what would be my basic needs for a frag tank.

First off, I wanted to squeeze as much room out of the tank as I needed so I was planning on doing a closed loop system with to outlets and one inlet split out into a y-shape using flexible loc-line tubing. The question on this would be what would be a sufficient enough pump for flow? I have a MAG3 hanging around, but would this be enough? All suggestions and advice would be welcome.

As for lighting I have a spare Icecap 660 that I was going to use to run T5 bulbs. I was going to overdrive 4x24 bulbs. Would this be enough light? I would have steps made out of eggcrate to house the frags. Having three levels leaving me the highest level for the highest lighting corals. Since I would have them close to the surface, would I be able to get away with just the T5? How long would I want to run the lights? Could I get away with just running them 4-6 hours a day?

Do I want to run a skimmer on a frag tank or do I want to try and leave the tank high in nutrients? If I do need a skimmer would something like a small Hang-On do the job?

I was going to try and recycle my water out of my main tank and use it for water changes on the frag tank.

Am I missing anything else? Would something like this setup work fine for a frag tank?

Forgot to mention that I was planning on using a sand bed and placing LR under the levels of the racks and in the back of the tank.

If you r going to keep sps in there you are going to want to keep it low nutrients. If you want to do that with a skimmer then you need a skimmer, I am sure a 5 gal a week water change would do this as well all depends on what u want to do IMO. If u where just going to keep soffties, lps, and zoas I have heard some people keeping a higher nutriants frag tank, and the frags doing verry well.

If you can plumb it into the main tank you could use all the equipment you already have to maintain water quality. Could you run it off the sump?

If you can plumb it into the main tank you could use all the equipment you already have to maintain water quality. Could you run it off the sump?

I don't room for a sump under my stand. I set up the tank without planning for a sump. The frag tank would be in another room on its own system.

Flow Question.

I was planning on doing two outlets with strainers hidden behind an overflow wall in my closed loop along with two inlets. I figured the two outlets would give me a little more flow inside the tank.

Like I said I was going to use a Mag 3 for the pump in the closed loop since I have one laying around. For the outlets back into the tank I wanted to use two penductors to increase the flow in my tank.

My question is that would two penductors be overkill? Should I just do one inlet with a penductor in the top back corner of the tank? I know the Mag 3 doesn't put out too much flow so maybe the two penductors would make it sufficient for the flow in the tank.

Please give me your suggestions.

Some Preliminary Design

Here is the scheme that at the moment I plan on using, unless my budget changes or If I simply decide to go down another route. All of the designs are done to the exact dimensions using SolidWorks.

Hole Locations:
Frag_Tank.jpg

Overflow Box
Frag_Tank_2.jpg

thats what i run 20 gallon frag tank but they do fill up fast with frags. i plumbed in 2 main system are u doing a sump on this tank

thats what i run 20 gallon frag tank but they do fill up fast with frags. i plumbed in 2 main system are u doing a sump on this tank

Right now I am not going to do a sump just because I am trying to keep the budget down to a minimum. I just plan on keeping softies, lps, and zoas at first and just do 5 gallon bi-weekly water changes. This way the tank can stay high in nutrients and still have the frags do well.

Once I start to keep some more demanding SPS frags, I was thinking of plumbing a skimmer into the 20L or running a 10g sump.

The plan for the two outlets and the two inlets will allow me easily to add a sump in the future. I would just dedicate one outlet and inlet to the closed loop instead of 2 and 2 in the current setup.

that will work the 30 gallon breeder is a nice tank 2 same hight 6 inches longer and 4 or 6 inches wider

I hope to have this up and running over the next couple of months. I have a 1.5" Diamond Hole saw on its way at the moment. If I successfully drill the tank then its on to ordering the plumbing I need for the closed loop.

The one thing that really is holding me back from getting it going sooner is that I have to send out and Icecap 660 to be repaired before I can get the lighting all situated, unless in the mean time I can find something cheaper.

I have estimated the budget at the following:

20 Gallon Long tank - Free
1.5" Diamond Hole Saw - $15
12" x 48" Black Acrylic Sheet - $25
Eggrate - Free (was given a sheet awhile back)
Two Penductors - $35
Plumbing - $100 (estimated)
Ballast Repair - $75
Reflectors, Endcaps - $120
Bulbs - $80
20lbs Sand - $20
15lbs Rubble or Rock - $25

Grand total to have my frag tank up and running - $495

All of these prices are reflected off of items being bought new. Since I am in no rush I will see if I can find used equipment to shave down on my costs. I should be able to find some reflectors and endcaps used. I also should be able to get sand along with some rock for cheaper from members here.

I hope I can try and shave a good $200 off that estimated tank cost to get this going.

i think if you are going to be dumping $300 you might want to start off with a bigger tank like bigdog said. maybe a 30 breeder or 40 breeder. it would only cost about $40 more since it wouldn't be free and would almost double your usable frag space.

i think if you are going to be dumping $300 you might want to start off with a bigger tank like bigdog said. maybe a 30 breeder or 40 breeder. it would only cost about $40 more since it wouldn't be free and would almost double your usable frag space.

Good point, but I think I found an alternative lighting route that although their reputation 5 years back wasn't so great but since then have actually had some great reviews after their new line came out. Easily would cut my budget down by $200. Which would be nice since I really only wanted to have roughly a $250-$300 budget on this one.

Also instead of doing rigid PVC all through out the closed loop plumbing and use some flexible PVC and a couple barbed fittings and tubing into the pump itself, I would also save another $20-25 or so.

Like I said, the tank will be built as i find funding for it, and also depending on how the tank drilling goes. I have never drilled a tank so Id rather break a tank that I had lying around for years instead of going out and dumping extra cash and having a mishap leaving me even more over my budget.

Last edited:
Back