220 on second floor condo

Not saying its impossible but that's a big tank for a second floor, is it near or against a outside wall?

Jim

Depends on the structure, my old condo had concrete columns and slabs.
My new house is old timber/frame, I needed to add extra 6x6 columns and support beams to hold up my 180G.
Keep in mind you weighing in around 2600 pounds, essentially parking a car on a second floor.

It up near my side wall in living room frist floor is concert but i think the second floor is wood but i think the wall is the samecon the 1st floor i was wondering beacuse i am just adding to more feet so wouldnt the weight be spread out

I would figure out what the supports in the floor look like. "thinking" something will be ok is never what you should do when placing a tank that size anywhere

Plans for how the place was built should be available at town hall. Just tellthem what you are planning and take a look . if you are not sure after looking at the plans . put up a post here . Basicly you need 2x10 construction with no more than about 8 ft span to support the tank . If you have a longer span you will have to add support underneath the tank . even if its concrete I seriously doubt the designed it to handle more that say 60 pounds per square foot or maybe 100. 100 should be ok but pushing the limits .

Contact a structural engineer and they will come in and look at what you have for supports and rafters. They will let you know if you can do it or what you will need to add to be able to do it. If you planning on having a fish room on the first floor with the sump then you will probably be fine. But contact the engineer just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it your house?
If your house then its okay, you take your own risk. Your house is in your hand.

If it is not your house, i hope you ask the landlord.

Just so you know, 150-180g on 2nd floor is already pushing the limit.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Without knowing the structure and this tank being well over 100gal, I would go on the fact you will be 2500lbs+ and say no. Especially if it is considered a bedroom.

I was able to look underneath its looks like they are 2 by 8 but its only in a 6 inch hole i can see beacuse it were the wTer shut off is

Back