250w DE to 400w SE Metal halide?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Is it really worth to go from 250w DE to 400w SE metal halide as the single light (both 10K) for a 54 gallon conner tank? How much more heat issue am I looking at?

Thanks

dz6t said:
Is it really worth to go from 250w DE to 400w SE metal halide as the single light (both 10K) for a 54 gallon conner tank? How much more heat issue am I looking at?

Thanks

Dong:

It is so you can sell me your 250w DE ;)

Seriously, from what I understand, it's about a 50-60% greater heat generation, assuming the reflector and radiant output per watt is the same.

I belive that this would be a backward step as the 400w se gives off the same amount of light as a 250w de due to the glass sheild on the se bulbs
so it would cost you more to run it to get the same out put.

super cook said:
I belive that this would be a backward step as the 400w se gives off the same amount of light as a 250w de due to the glass sheild on the se bulbs
so it would cost you more to run it to get the same out put.

what about the fact that most de bulb pendents have a thicker uv protective glass than the se bulbs? and wasn't this proven false? doesn't it have more to do with the balast as well?

i ran 3 250 DE's on my 92. took them down and replaced them with 1 400.
same par values maybe, but hands down the 400 will look alot better. moreso with the bluer you go.
your welcome to try one out if you want to see what it looks like.
I have more than a few lying around.

1 250DE on any reflector known to man will not put out the same amount of light as the same bulb in 400 watt on a lumenarc. Ala Dr. Sanjay.

JayM said:
...until he orders his 120 from glasscages..... :)
That is not going to happen any more. I am down to three tanks from six.
I can imagine myself having a nano right now.

If I took in his presentation correctly, what sanjay found was that the 250 DE lights (with good reflectors) put out a focused intensity close to that of the 400 SE lamps, but the 400 SE lamps had a lot more spread on the light - in other words the 250 DE has similar peak intensity but the 400 SE lamps put out signifigantly more overall but it's spread over more area.

If you swap out 2x250 DE for 1x400 SE you will get a little more intensity in the center of the tank and a little less on the ends, but you will see less electricity usage and less heat overall.

Do you think a 400w SE can cover 48 inch area?

I used a SE 400 over a 75 for years. It worked fine, just place higher light demanding corals closer to the center, and less light demanding corals on the ends. It didn't look funny at all, just very bright. I also ran a SE 400 over a 120 and it worked just as well, but I eventually swapped it out for 2 x 250 SE lamps because it was an oceanic tank with the glass centerbrace (which gets dirty/fouled by Ca deposits fast) so I wanted to have 2x point source lights.

Oh yea, the 400W lamps also give you much more shimmer effect.

How height are you hanging it? I am very interested in the idea. My 75 gallon SPS/LPS tank has a perforated center brace.

Unless the centerbrace is REALLY REALLY perforated you will see a serious shadow. I had my 75G with the AGA brace for 3-4 yrs as a reef running 1 x 400 SE + 2x 96W PC actinic. I got used to it, and arranged the rockwork to de-emphasise the shadow in the center of the tank, but overall, honestly, any centerbrace will take away from the one lamp set up.

Tough call, I don't know what to suggest. If It would help, I might have the parts on hand to loan you a 400 SE 10K retro to try out.

Edit: I forgot to answer, About 12" above the water on the 400's, but thats a rough estimate since I haven't run one in a year and a half.

Hey, let me know if you want to try out my old 400W as a loaner. I checked, I have everything except a socket.

Back