3....2....1....meltdown.

Midnightpass

Non-member
Just want to throw out an oddball question and see what type of responses it generates.

How long has it been, generally speaking, between catastrophic issues with your reef?

I'm not asking about an apocalyptic meltdown, but let's say the amount of time between the sort of issue that you look at and based on your level of experience,whatever that may be, that you recognize you have a major problem on your hands and you are not sure if you will be able to work out the solution before a meaningful loss occurs?

That's a mouthful.

The reason I ask the question is not to identify that folks have frequent problems, but rather to gauge as a hobby community....are we collectively any good at this? I'm sure some will say they rarely have problems. Testing is important and certainly helps us to stay ahead of the curve...but there is an x factor to consider for the figurative sucker punch and undeniable problem that we face trying to maintain an ocean next to a television set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a loaded "KARMA" question!!! lol :)
Have I had catastrophic, no (knocking on wood). But have I had debilitating issues, yes.Most could of been prevented by better quarantine procedures and better husbandry skills, but years ago (going on 15) I just dove into saltwater without little research, which in this hobby=BAD.

Patience, research,patience, research,patience, research, patience, research,patience, research, patience, research, patience, research, patience, research, patience..........Now if someone told me this back then I may not be responding to this thread :)

That's a good point. Ignorance is bliss (unless you're in the tank!). After returning to the hobby from a 15 year break, I am finding a lot of new technology...but the test kits (and willingness to consistently use them) remain the most important tool.

Last edited:
The icestorm of 08 decimated my tank. Bought a generator and the power outage issue was resolved.
2 years later, a rouge magnifica anemone settled itself on the overflow while I was on vacation and the tank was half destroyed. Bought a fancy controller with overflow protection and the issue is resolved.
It has been 4 years and no incident until a couple weeks ago while I was moving things to settle in the new house, I touched the controller and the level sensor became loose in the back of the controller. Did not return to check on the tank 2-3 days later to find the return pump was turned off and the salinity level have rised. Did not lose anything but corals still took a hit.

There's always something you'll find and learn along your reefing adventure. Even the most sophisticated set up can still fail if you don't keep an eye on it.

I had a major Ich outbreak about a year ago when I decided to add "one last fish" which didn't go through a complete QT. Now all fish go through QT with tank transfer.

Great example of a sucker punch. Snow storms and reefs don't mix.

But that's usually because people are too cheap. They spend thousands on coral and equipment, and don't want to spend $200 on a small generator.

A small 1200W generator costs $200 or less. That can run all the powerheads and heaters in almost every tank. The corals can be without light for 4 days and live. Mine spent 4.5 days with no light in the last snow storm, and they were fine....and that's only because I wanted the generator to be able to last longer than 10 hours while I was at work.

No matter what technology you use or don't use. Something will get you at some point.
I moved a rock from my sump to my display. That's it.

Unfortunately, it dislodged my supply pump going to my chiller. Just in time for today's hot/humid weather.

Lost two Anthias, a Warpaint Scoly, couple of acan colonies and SPS looking like it's headed for STN city.

Technology isn't the problem, it's the little things that get you and discourage you because it's usually preventable with a little more care than we appreciate until it's too late.

Ugh!

There is something called old tank syndrome, which still plague many reefers.
Normally about 3 to 4 years you will have a chance to encounter it.
There are many theory floating around and some focus on old sand bed etc.
A friend of mine who had it and could not figure out why until he broke down his plumbing. All the pipes are clogged with smelly junks.
So I replace plumbing every 2 years and clean out the sump.

I had a pump let lose and dump 60 gallons of water onto my basement floor Sunday night. I woke up to this Monday at 6am. Great way to start the week. The worst part was the 30 gallons of kalkwasser top off water that made my tank so cloudy I could not see a single coral or fish. Luckily I had about 30 gallons of saltwater to get the system operating again. I left work at about noontime and picked up carbon which I ran for 12 hours straight yesterday. I am going to add another 50 gallons of water tonight to bring my entire system back up to normal.

Makes sense Dong. At some point fittings, perhaps sand beds, and areas of irregular flow due to rock structures/surfaces are likely magnets for toxic gunk. (That's the scientific term...lol).

Old tank syndrome is just when you don't know what the ******** is wrong with your tank and you need something to blame.

Makes sense Dong. At some point fittings, perhaps sand beds, and areas of irregular flow due to rock structures/surfaces are likely magnets for toxic gunk. (That's the scientific term...lol).

My sand bed is 20 years old, 11 at the same house

That is what makes this hobby difficult. No two systems are alike and everyone has a different philosophy on husbandry. To not have any big issues to chase down in 20 years is remarkable. Kudos Frank.

Back