30gal project.

tdragon

Non-member
ok well im setting up a 125gal but thaught while i was waiting for the other stuff i need id start a little 30gal. it is going to be a all nsw tank as will the 125gal. heres a pic of the tank you can also see the closed loop i the back the closed loop will be with a mag 7.do you think the closed loop and a regular hob filter will give it a good enough water turn over rate?

30gal.jpg

will be in the market for a small skimmer if any one has one LMK.

J

tdragon said:
do you think the closed loop and a regular hob filter will give it a good enough water turn over rate?

J

Depends. What do you plan to keep in this tank. I'd say a mag 7 will be enough flow for sps if you aren't using a SQWD, but if you use a SQWD I think you might be a little low flow for SPS. More of a mixed reef/softy sort of flow IMO. Maybe you could put hydor rotating deflectors on the outputs instead, to give you random flow. I think they handle about 350gph, so that should work for your loop.

no im not using a sqwd. i tested the closed loop on my freshwater tank and it had a nice flow to it.jeff if itll do the job ill take it.

Hers is my 29gal I just finished in my office. It have 2 x 1" drain 2 x 3/4" return and a 1/2' seaswirl in the middle. It's all power by Iwaki 30 RLT. I believe I could use more flow.

Attachments

• 29gal.JPG
    29gal.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 236
hey jeff im not sure if im going to be there. but if i can ill met you there before the meeting if i cant do that ray might pick it up for me im sure we can figure something out before the meeting comes.

heres a pic of the tank with the nsw and diy rock i know you cant see it but it will be clear soon i hope.

30gal2.jpg

also i may test my full diy skimmer on this tank for a week or so it will be powered by a mag 24. think this will be enough skimming for now till i get the skimmer from nitrofish :D :p

heres a pic un clouded(sp) also you can see the eductors i made and put on the flow out of them is 100 times better.
30gal3.jpg

It looks great. I like the aquascaping. I'm just curious what are you going to use the 29g for. Are you setting it up for species specific tank only?

well right now i want to get some clowns,Green Mandarin , and a coral beauty. maybe a goby then move most of them into the 125.

FWIW, unless you can get one that's eating frozen foods for sure, I wouldn't recommend putting a mandarin in a 30g tank (especially a brand new tank without a fuge).

Nuno

Back